B1 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My single ended tube amp has it's own volume control and i am just wondering which is the "recommended" way to use my tube amp with the B1:

1. Turn the volume pot on the amp all the way up and adjust volume on the B1 to suit my listening comfort level

2. Turn volume pot on the B1 all the way up and adjust volume on the tube amp to suit my listening level

Thanks.

building B1 as a buffer

delete r101,201, delete IN2r, IN2l, delete P100,P200.

Connect INr to R102 and INl to R202
Connect INr&L to the tube outputs.

You have now added a buffer to the output of the tube pre-amp.

If there is room inside and somewhere cool enough, you can connect R102, R202 direct to the tube pre-outs and then connect OUTr & OUTl to the back of the output sockets.

This may improve the connection to your power amp if the Tube pre cannot deliver sufficient current to drive the capacitance of the interconnect cables and the RF filter in the power amp.

delete r101,201, delete IN2r, IN2l, delete P100,P200.

Connect INr to R102 and INl to R202
Connect INr&L to the tube outputs.

You have now added a buffer to the output of the tube pre-amp.

If there is room inside and somewhere cool enough, you can connect R102, R202 direct to the tube pre-outs and then connect OUTr & OUTl to the back of the output sockets.

This may improve the connection to your power amp if the Tube pre cannot deliver sufficient current to drive the capacitance of the interconnect cables and the RF filter in the power amp.

Before I do this, i want clarify that I do not have a tube preamp. My tube amp will connect directly to this Buffer B1. I am not sure where the tube pre-amp came from. Thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi xecluded, the B1 is a line level buffer. If your amp is driving speakers then you would need to put the B1 Before the amp. If you keep the volume control on the amp, then I don't see any benefit in putting a B1 before it, except to give your source a fixed impedance to drive. I think that Andrew and WithTarragon made the (reasonable) assumption that the amp was a preamp and that you wanted to buffer it's output.

If you want to add a buffer before the amp, then I would instead remove the volume control from the amp, and use the volume control in the B1. But as WithTarragon said what is the reason for wanting to add the B1?

Tony.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am clueless. I guess for now, i will just use it as is and turn volume control on the amp all the way up and adjust volume on the B1 to suit. Thanks.

Hi Xecluded, if you post a schematic of your power amp (or at least just the input section) then This will help :) Andrew is asking so as to make certain that any connection between the B1 and the poweramp is optimal. Poor bass response can result if the component values are not right (the resistor and capacitor act as a high pass filter).

I believe You will get the most benefit from the B1 if you remove the volume control on the poweramp, but you will possibly (probably?) need to replace it with a fixed resistor to ground at the input. Turning the volume control on the amp to maximum, I guess is sort of like putting a fixed resistor to ground but I'm sure a better arrangement can be found :)

Tony.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
...single ended 45 tube amp with volume control...

Hi, you may be completely missing the point. I assume that your system goes source > single ended 45 tube amp (with volume control) > speakers. If so then you already have what you need. (Just maybe needs a tweak).

The only way in which inserting a B1 before the amp will improve things is if the source has high output impedance and the amp has low input impedance. Or if you have a 'long' high-capacitance cable between source and amp. In these two cases the B1 will act as an impedance converter. Under all other circumstances there is no point to insert the B1.

First thing to do is work out the output impedance of your source. Look in the manual, then post here for comment. (Or Google for it, or let the guys here know what it is so they can estimate). Also, need to know the input impedance of your amp (usually set by the volume control). Also, how long is the cable between source and amp?

: )

Hi, you may be completely missing the point. I assume that your system goes source > single ended 45 tube amp (with volume control) > speakers. If so then you already have what you need. (Just maybe needs a tweak).

The only way in which inserting a B1 before the amp will improve things is if the source has high output impedance and the amp has low input impedance. Or if you have a 'long' high-capacitance cable between source and amp. In these two cases the B1 will act as an impedance converter. Under all other circumstances there is no point to insert the B1.

First thing to do is work out the output impedance of your source. Look in the manual, then post here for comment. (Or Google for it, or let the guys here know what it is so they can estimate). Also, need to know the input impedance of your amp (usually set by the volume control). Also, how long is the cable between source and amp?

: )

Sorry, i really get you all confused as i really don't know much about these things. My source is an Oppo 980 DVD player, cable is about 3 feet long. I know that the amp is working just fine with just the Dvd connecting directly to the amp though when i use it with the B1 (turn volume on the amp all the way up), i can tell that the sound is a little fuller and more to my liking. Without the B1, the sound is sweeter but the overall sound is a little thin. I did try using my amp with a Dynaco PAS preamp but i preferred the sound with the B1 due to lower noise, no hum at all with the B1, and i know that the system sound better with the B1 in place - just don't know how to describe it.

... I know that the amp is working just fine with just the Dvd connecting directly to the amp........... Without the B1, the sound is sweeter but the overall sound is a little thin. ............. i preferred the sound with the B1 due to lower noise, no hum at all with the B1, and i know that the system sound better with the B1 in place...
the B1 cures noise and cures hum?

I don't believe it.

The B1 may well change the frequency response due to the different load it presents to the cable from the DVD and the different source impedance it presents to the cable to the power amplifier.
But it cannot perform magic.

Per your suggestion, I will get a couple 100K resistors and ground it at the inputs (replacing the 100k volume pot.) I will post the result of my finding afterward. Thank you all for your help.

xecluded.

The 2 100K resistors went in bypassed the volume control and I can't really say that it sound any differ than when the volume pot was in the circuit.

Any how, my sytem sounds much more enjoyable with the B1 than using the amp stands alone with it's own volume control. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.