ZEN brothers and low efficiency speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
To all ZEN fans

Could we here build up the list of low efficiency speakers of about 87-89dB, which are reasonably well matching with ZEN brothers, based on your ¡°subjective¡± experiences?

1. Version of ZEN
  2. Name of speakers including information about impedance and efficiency
  3. A brief opinion
    [/list=1]
    Thanks for your participation. :)

JH

I tried my Zen V2 with Tannoy M1 speakers. My brother uses them for nearfieldmonitors for their thight bass and highs.
They are 8 Ohm 87dB.

These very small bookshelf speakers sounded quite good. Surprisingly much sound out of these small speakers. Ofcourse they didn't play very loud, but in my small room it was good enough. They are easy to drive speakers although the low efficiency. I can't say anything on imaging as I had very poor speaker placement at that time.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hanzwillem said:
I don't know what the real term for easy to drive is, but some speaker tend to sound real dull and to laidback.
These speakers have for their value and size a nice 'in your face' sound over a large frequency range, and for that it doesn't need a powerfull amp, so i guessed it is easy to drive.

OK
I'm building speakers (designing is the apropriate term), and I wanted to know what makes them easy to drive (specific drivers, specific crossovers...)

I have a Zen V4 driving Adire Kit281s (4 ohm and 87db 2v sensitivity, medium towers) at the moment, although it is only supposed to be for the treble and my bass amps are damaged. These speakers are difficult loads with 2.8 ohm minimum impedance, and significant impedance peaks and phase shifts. I can tell the sound is something special, but it's just too wimpy to be of much use. The bass is terrible and the sound is "anemic" and less dynamic. However, the highs are the most realistic I've ever heard, like the "shimmer" of cymbals and such... and the soundstage has a realistic sort of depth... subtle sounds come through really clear. The sound is a little "softer" than my other amps, presumably because of less high frequency distortion. On the other hand, when sent into distortion (which is easy) it sounds louder, not in a good way. It can actually play pretty loud, enough to impress an average person :), but it's just not very lively sound. I look forward to actively bi-amping with its 20-40 watts driving the 92db tweeters, and my Holton sym amps (400+ watts) for the midwoofers.

Have used Focal 8V416(J) woofer rated at 88dB and 6 Ohms voice coil impedance on a TL box using only an inductor as 1st order low pass filter. Good bass.

The woofer worked in combination with Fostex FE103 or FE164 full range speakers, wide open. the FE103 won't tolerate much volume when no high pass is used though.

These were used with Zen v.1, 10W. What the Zen doesn't like very much is pasive XO components and low impedance speakers.

In the case of the Focal impedance does not drop below 5.9 Ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.