Tiny Vifa tweeter question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It was a clearance part out of Parts Express a few years ago,
so I bought 1,000. Clearly made for auto sound application,
it has about 86-87 dB sensitivity and I use it at 10 KHz and
above with Pioneer Bu20F20 full ranges to sweeten the top.

They also make for party favors at BAF.

:cool:

I'm going to try them with a LR 2nd order crossover at 3500 hz with a Pioneer B20. I'm putting these in a pair of old Allison 7 boxes. The woofer is mounted on top facing up. The tweeter is mounted on an L shaped piece of pipe over the middle of the woofer. Kind of like the speakers demonstrated by Mr. Linkwitz at the last Burning Amp festival in Sausalito. Everything except the crossover is done. Will report back after I get them running.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have measured them as 91, but this is in the region of
300 Hz to 1 KHz. Most FR's bounce around above this
region, although the Pioneer declines rather gently. At
10 KHz or so it's a pretty good match with a 1 uF cap. Not
very bright - just a little sugar on top.

:cool:

I was hoping to reuse the Allison 7 boxes that I found on the street with the components that I already had on hand. A different pair of curbside boxes sound great in my office with the Pioneer woofers full range and tweeters with just a 1 mfd cap, but these have the woofers and tweeters facing forward in a normal configuration. I thought I'd try the Allison boxes with the Pioneers facing up, since the holes were already there and the Pioneers dropped right in. But I thought that I'd need a "real" crossover because of the upward facing woofer. I'm going to try taking out the crossover and just using a cap on the tweeter. If that doesn't work, I will block off the top hole and just put the woofer on the front. If you don't try, you don't know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.