New heatsinks for my upcoming Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could <gasp> cut the sinks in half. :bigeyes: Ok, maybe not. ;)

Somewhere on this site I vividly remember (but cannot locate) the recommendation to place devices towards the top of a heat sink. The rationale is that the air is heated less at the bottom of the sink if the devices are near the top, allowing for more effective use of the long sinks. I'm not sure it would make more than a degree or two of difference, though.

www.rtheta.com has a nice online heatsink simulator in their "R-Tools" section. You can find a similar extrusion in their catalog, I'm sure, though I think you can input the specs for non-cataloged items (like yours).

Best regards,

Mark Broker

Heatsink Rating

Elizard and others - I tried rating the heatsink that was posted here by inputting the dimensions into Rod Elliots Heatsink calculator and I am just not coming up with a rating of anywhere close to 0.25 C/W. Can anyone tell me how they calcuated the rating of this heatsink?

thanks
vsr

If it is not to much work you can try this way to mount the IRFs

Trigon

Attachments

• lll.jpg
    lll.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 313
i like your way of mounting trigon, i saw it in a post somewhere earlier too :)

btw, these heatsinks are available, the guy has some 80ish available, and they're $15/each, $3 extra for him to pick out the best ones (they are used heatsinks, and do have holes drilled in them. the final verdict will be when i receive them)

faustian bargin said:
here's what i found on aavid thermalloy (LINK) - it looks almost exactly like your heatsink. 0.56°C/W rating, but with a distributed load they say you get a 10% improvement in performance, so figure about 0.50.

0.56 .. eeep!
that's a little too much .. i figured i'd need about 0.4 each heatsink, so 0.1 in total (4 sinks) .. hmmz, i guess we'll wait and see

well...since we're talking about heatsinks, i've had my eye on the extrusions at MECI for a long time, just never got around to making a purchase...i need 4 of the $10 ones for my zenV4 project...:idea:

of course it doesn't really count as a 'barter' if you don't already have them on hand to offer, so you could just pay me 50 bucks or so...:eek:

but if you have access to any decent cad software with 3d capability, i say give it a shot yourself. it's not THAT hard to learn on your own, just takes time.

/andrew - wheelin and dealin :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.