Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Dear Dr. Nelson Pass
Dear Dr. Nelson Pass
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

No, there is a rather different point here:

Proffessor Smith needs a Dr. to ask him couple of questions. He has mistakenly taken Papa for a Dr...

Last edited by Vix; 27th March 2010 at 11:15 PM.

Old 28th March 2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Professor smith is offline Professor smith  United Kingdom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
His first name would be Zacchary

and I am not a doctor, although I play one on TV.

To answer the question, I sell what people want. Many of them
want more power. Of those, some need it, some might think
they need it later if not now, and some don't need it.

I must admit that isn't the answer I was looking for. Can you offer any technical reasons as to the advantage of using such high power in domestic settings?

Old 28th March 2010, 02:45 PM   #13
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Dear Dr. Nelson Pass
are you sure that you can understand any technical reason ?

you're really asking one of most basic questions of audio electronics .... and asking Papa to give you answer ......

do your own homework .

Old 28th March 2010, 03:07 PM   #14
Zero Cool is offline Zero Cool  United States
diyAudio Member

I want more power! Not ALL speakers are that efficient. Mine that i Love are only 84db @1w If I recall correctly so in doing the math i get this. adding every 3 db doubles the power and not taking into consideration power compression.

84db at 1watt
87 @ 2w
90 @ 4w
93 @ 8w
96 @ 16w
99 @ 32w watts and here is where the power comes in
102 @ 64w
105 @ 128w the avg concert level
108 256
111 512w
114 1024
117 2048
120 @ 4096 The avg dance club music level. of course my speakers would have blown up long ago!

105-108 is not uncommon in my living room for peaks! My clip lights come on at .1% at about 220 watts and yes i see them flash often. a 50 or a 100 watt amplifier will not cut it for me! and movie special FX that are are extremely bass heavy and very dynamic would cause a measly 50 watt amp to beg for mercy! (I tried to watch a movie once using my 40w Zen Lites and it just wasn't going to happen).

AND not all speakers have amp friendly Impedance curves! I know that my speakers have dips in spots down around 2 ohms or less. asking a 50 watt amp to try and deliver any sort of volume causes severe tonal compression at frequencies where the impedance dips. most 50 watt amps just don't have the current capability.

So while the first watt is most important, and while most of the time the amp will be simply cruising along. having the power to pass is nice! Pun's intended(albeit badly)

Zc

Old 28th March 2010, 03:15 PM   #15
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor smith View Post
Can you offer any technical reasons as to the advantage of using such high power in domestic settings?
If one can afford large, high priced commercial amplifiers such as those sold by Pass Labs then one can afford to split the amp into several smaller amplifiers and place them immediately adjacent to the loudspeaker drive units, which is their optimium technical location.

However, driven by tradition, dogma, ignorance and the opinion of 'magazine / internet audiophile gurus' the vast majority of the buying public still focus upon a very large single box amplifier. The more money they have, the bigger they want it.

So companies such as Pass Labs then have two choices; Option 1 is to go against the flow and spend disproportionately large amounts of time and money to educate customers as to the 'better' option, or Option 2 is to say "OK, you think you want a really big powerful amplifier, so here it is...".

Commercial common sense suggests Option 2, which is the chosen course of Pass Labs, Krell, Goldmund, Rowland, etc.,etc..

So Mr. Smith, the conclusion is that it has nothing to do with needing power and everything to do with customer psychology and commercial common sense.

Old 28th March 2010, 04:18 PM   #16
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I think, a shoreless debate started again here.
About a totally subjective things.
These for an extra so much subjective, influenced because of one's momentary mood by the fact that the same person has an opinion about this differently. Or that is daytime, or in the evening. One fullrange or a brutal multiway. Jazz or hard-rock. Madrigal or 5. Symphony. And so on! I am so with this at least.
I try all kinds because of this. It is possible to like all systems for something.
I would not say even it, that withdrawing the communist system, an apology please.
This is a money matter of course.
On the other hand good fun.
Otherwise we know that Holly Gral does not exist, but because of that yet good thing to look for this.

Wacky Gyuri

Old 28th March 2010, 04:28 PM   #17
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
are you sure that you can understand any technical reason ?...
Now you're becoming worse than me
Leave the poor guy alone, it's not the first time he is playing tough by using stupid provocations

Old 28th March 2010, 05:17 PM   #18
intouch1 is offline intouch1  Egypt
diyAudio Member

depends very much as well if you are listening to accoustic music mainly or highly compressed amplified pop music.

i would look at making sure that the amp of your choice is still in class a at your maximum listening levels.

Old 28th March 2010, 06:40 PM   #19
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Dear Dr. Nelson Pass
Apart from the concept of adequate power as measured,
amplifiers of different sizes typically have a different sound.

As an example, it is my experience that our 3 ohm speaker
is much happier with our 100 watt Class A monoblocs than
with the 30 watt Class A stereo amp, even when you are only
running well within the capabilities of the 30 watt.

Old 28th March 2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Professor smith is offline Professor smith  United Kingdom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
Apart from the concept of adequate power as measured,
amplifiers of different sizes typically have a different sound.

As an example, it is my experience that our 3 ohm speaker
is much happier with our 100 watt Class A monoblocs than
with the 30 watt Class A stereo amp, even when you are only
running well within the capabilities of the 30 watt.

why is that?

Closed Thread

Dear Dr. Nelson PassHide this!Advertise here!