Aleph 2 Board Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to build a pair of Water cooled Aleph 2. :) And is currently drawing the output board, and i would like some comments on the design... Will it work??

Perhaps i should give som explanation:

The blue block is the water cooling aluminium profile: http://www.elfa.se/pdf/75/07563109.pdf

(not all connections listed, it's just to get the point)
A connects to R20
B to C7
C to Q5
D to Q4
E to Q4
F to R7

With that kind of cooling.. how much power could i get out of the Aleph?

Attachments

• output.gif
    output.gif
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,928
Now thats going to be one compact Aleph 2! I like the idea of water cooling but why not go one step further and include the drive components on that pcb also.......there seems to be plenty of room in the center area? It certainly seems like a logical thing to do at this point. Also, what kind of cooling system are you going to use? I'd be tempted to use a water chiller like the kind we use in large format film projection, although a bit smaller. They are not killer in price either, and can be had used for around 400 to 600.00. I'd locate the chiller in another room or the basement. Safety circuit built in so that if water flow stops the amp shuts down.......
Mark

Perhaps i should put the drive components on the other side of the board! :) Why not use the temperature switch from the original design? It should work fine connected to the water block.

My plan is to use a radiator from a car or something like that, wery cheap! :) and i'm thinking about running 8 alephs on the same system later (if the first pair is a success). It probobly would be a good idea to put the ratiator in another place, 2400W of heat should warm up the garage just fine ;)

Here is one of the coolers(circulator) that we make in our shop for film projectors that require it. 10 gallon tank, 8 gallons of distilled water and one gallon of antifeeze to keep algae form growing and inprove heat transfer. Its simple and inexpensive to make. Should keep a dozen or more Aleph 2's at what ever temperature the room is at that the tank is kept in. We are removing lots of heat from projector aperatures with up to 10kw xenon lamps on them that would other wise buckle from the heat..... The aperatures run only slightly warmer than room temp! The cooling fan is really the only noise generated by the circulator...the water pump is for all practical purposes noisless. The radiator is a heater core for a car......

Indeed, the component parts can certainly be on the other side of the pcb!! Those Alephs would be tiny by comparison to others built here.
Mark

Attachments

• water cooler.jpg
    water cooler.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,730
it's amazing how much heat you can dissapate from a heat sink
with just fans. I can imagine that this water cooling would work
really well. In fact you could probably go as far to say that the
only way you could have 6 or more channels of Aleph 2 work in
a home theatre situation would be to water cool it!

I remember reading something Mr. Pass said about air cooling his
home theatre alephs... he had pruchased a whole bunch of
computer cpu fans to implement somehow. wonder how that
worked out? : )

too bad Grey never posted pics of his water cooled Aleph 2.

it's a really cool idea, good luck, and post pics! ;)

moe29
-----------------------------------------
Hail to the Thief is a masterpiece

I thought Grey did post some pics....at least there were some pics posted of someones water cooled Aleph something or other. What I saw was all home made and not how I would do it...nothing wrong with nomemade and I suppose it all works but this design is very elegant and simple...at least once all the primary components are mounted on the same board. If he gets it that far it'll be difficult to keep me from building 6 channels of Aleph 2's and the heat will be elsewhere!
Mark

you can get good cooling uisng just air if you have afan strapped onto the heatsink as well, al lot of CPU heatsinks are getting down to 0.2C/W or better using fans these days, so you could just about get enough cooling for seven chaneels into a normal ish sized case, but I bet there woud be a fair bit of niose comming from the fans when it was running. that is one ver good thing about water cooling, you can allways put the radiator and fans elsewhere and get rid of the niose that way, whilst still getting the benifit of the extra cooling from the fans.

Jay V.,
It looks like the hollowed out area is much more then what you said. Of course you would have to drill some blind holes near where the water circulates through. However, careful drilling and tapping would easily allow that to be done and the water would literally be right where the metal part of the transistir is at......

Looks to me like you'd end up with an 3/4 inch or more of of space in there. Easily enough to accomodate everything. You might want to use AXIAL 220 mfd caps though..... Radial type, depending on brand used, may not clear the heat sink.
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.