Pass 250.5 oscillation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
We have sold a Pass 250/5owner a pair of our CopperFoil speaker cables and he reports the amp gets very hot with a slight burning smell after playing an hour.

Our cables are parallel foil construction, similar in concept to the Goertz cables from AlphaCore, and certainly have high capacitance.

Is the 250.5 sensitive to cable capacitance? And if so, is there a fix? We are in Switzerland but the amp owner's in Italy so we can't easily do anything ourselves.

Regards, Allen (Vacuum State)

You can put a zobel network across the speaker terminals. I believe details are on the Alpha Core website.

A friend of mine had this problem with a Classe amp and a high capacitance Supra cable. Not sure what it does to the sound though.

I also recall the Max Townshend flat cables had a built in network to stop this happening.

sp

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't recall having PL amps oscillate into speaker cables,
including the Goertz, but I know that they are on the "list"
with a number of manufacturers.

A real possibility is a fault such as a short.

In either case, if the amp is running hot, presumably the
meter will show the excess current. You can compare it
in operation with and without the loads connected.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.