Is it possible to connect both XLR and RCA inputs at the same time into an Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to safely connect both XLR and RCA into an Aleph 5? I would like to use the XLR with an Aleph P1.7 for music, and then use the RCA when I run the receiver for HT system.

Normally I will use either XLR or RCA but it would be possible to get both inputs into the Aleph 5 my mistake so I just wanted to make sure it would not damage the power amp nor preamp and receiver.

My thoughts are the input impedance of the Aleph 5 is high, so I do not think it could hurt the amp, but not sure about the preamp. Driving a 20V (possible worst case) signal into the low impedance output of the processor?

Thanks

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You won't damage the amp, but you will find that pin 2 of
the xlr is the same as the center pin the RCA, so when you
connect sources to both they will look at each other. This
is usually not what you want, so the simple answer is that
you need to disconnect the input you aren't using, and if that
one is the xlr, then you need to put the shorting plug between
pins 1 and 3 when you are using the RCA input.

:cool:

You won't damage the amp, but you will find that pin 2 of
the xlr is the same as the center pin the RCA, so when you
connect sources to both they will look at each other. This
is usually not what you want, so the simple answer is that
you need to disconnect the input you aren't using, and if that
one is the xlr, then you need to put the shorting plug between
pins 1 and 3 when you are using the RCA input.

Mr. Pass thank you for the information. Yes previously when using RCA inputs I made a shorting plug out of an XLR plug connector where I shorted pins 1 and 3 for the 6 dB gain increase.
In this case my wife and kids use the HT system and it will be too much for them to switch back and forth.
Will the current setup work?
Preamp Aleph P XLR OUT, connected to Aleph 5 XLR IN
RCA switch box RCA OUT, connected to Aleph 5 RCA IN. This is an RCA switch box I have.
RCA switch box RCA IN1, connected to Processor RCA OUT (for main front channels).
When listening to music it is easy, all I would have to do is select any unused input on the switch box. This way the RCA cables going into the Aleph 5 will not be connected to anything. The concern is when using the HT system, the processor will be connected to the RCA inputs of the Aleph 5, and at the same time the XLR input of the Aleph 5 will be connected to the Aleph P. The Aleph P is always “ON” but without any signal coming out of it would that be OK? I know one downside is I will only have 20 dB gain for the HT system but I could live with that.
Thanks again.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you leave pin 2 of the XLR connected to the Aleph P, you
will have the RCA input pin also driving the output of the
Aleph P. It won't hurt the equipment, but depending on the
output impedance of whatever is driving the RCA, you will
see attenuation.

If you leave pin 2 of the XLR connected to the Aleph P, you
will have the RCA input pin also driving the output of the
Aleph P. It won't hurt the equipment, but depending on the
output impedance of whatever is driving the RCA, you will
see attenuation.

Mr. Pass thank you again. I tried it and with no source playing into the Aleph P there is no attenuation in HT mode, so in this case it works.

So this is great! I can share the amp for dedicated music and for HT without disconnecting anything.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.