Amplified speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Stefano is offline Stefano  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Amplified speakers

Hi to you all folks, i'm dreaming to project a basic version of the Pass Rushmore, something like a 2 way or a 1 way fullrange in pneumatic sospension with a version of a zen/soz/aleph amp buit-in matched for the speaker. If anyone of you is interested or if you have any suggestion is welcome
My best regards
Old 10th June 2003, 02:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Stefano,

That sounds like a great project, and you may have started a meaningful thread for some the more prolific fanatics to feast on. Lets wait and see.

Have a look at this site for inspiration and ideas: http://www.e-speakers.com/

There are some nice kits and drivers with high efficiency types as well.

But the key is the active Xover, and that means a crossover that will perform the transfer function right and provide clear sound(chips will not work well well enough at this level...I've tried trust me).

I am thinking of creating a simple discrete opamp using the ideas illustrated in the Passdiy article by Mr Pass.

Pity GR is not around, it would be resolved by breakfast, so the challenge is on for us to figure it out.

If you are interested let me know.

Any of the Pass amps will work well, but a small highly biased Aleph for the tweeter and a X Aleph for the mid bass (in a two way ) would be my pick.

Ian

Old 10th June 2003, 03:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

An active system can give you the best results, but it can be very tricky to set-up properly.
As Macka suggested I'd go for an Aleph-X (or at least a good sounding class AB, like AKSA, Elliot's P3A or Holton's symmetrical) for the low frequencies and a "regular" Aleph for the highs.

Which power? It depends mainly on the speakers (the xover frequency sets the % of power delivered to each way, so you can accordingly scale the power of the amps).
The average power per octave for musical programs is roughly constant (i.e. PSD is lower at higher frequencies), in many books you can find good references.

Other good choiches might be the JLH class A ( the ESL higher-powered
version for the low and the regular for the highs), or even a Gainclone.

The electronic xover is the heart of the system, there are many circuits around (while waiting for Nelson to put out his DIY one... oh Nelson, if you can hear us give us a sign ), but I don't really know which one is best for you.

I'm also in a similar dilemma, let's see what's coming out...

Cheers

Andrea
Old 10th June 2003, 05:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I was considering something similar for a small bedroom system, although maybe not as "high end" as what you want to do.
The speakers will be an augmented full range design- biamped. I was thinking of using a fostex full range for the 200Hz and up range, driven by a small aleph with 20V rails- good for about 15-20 watts. I was going to use a small woofer (or two, maybe push-push) driven by a gainclone for the bass.
For the crossover, I was thinking of using a buffered PLLXO- just a single mosfet follower to buffer, then the passive filter circuits into their individual amps.
All of this will be in a small integrated amp (not exactly active speakers- all electronics housed in one enclosure, seperate from the speakers). I plan to use 4 cond. speakons for the speaker connections, so they can't be mixed up (this will probably go to a non-DIY type relative eventually).
Old 10th June 2003, 05:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

In my dream, I build the active speaker that has the digital input, then sends to something like the SHARXs where the signal is constructed for each driver. All of the processing done with bits - with one and exactly one DAC per stream per driver. Connect up your computer cable and tune it up.

Its do-able, but not with my skills. One of the days I will get there.
Old 11th June 2003, 07:53 AM   #6
Stefano is offline Stefano  Italy
diyAudio Member

What about the use of the manger trasducer? It seems to be the simplest way to build a loudspeaker with a single driver full range: no xover and the right amount of power and bias to drive it perfectly.
Old 11th June 2003, 07:56 AM   #7
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
and only $700 each
Old 11th June 2003, 02:11 PM   #8
Account Disabled

Quote:
What about the use of the manger trasducer? It seems to be the simplest way to build a loudspeaker with a single driver full range: no xover and the right amount of power and bias to drive it perfectly.
The Manger MSW is not really a full range driver. It is normally crossed over around 200Hz and coupled with a conventional driver. Another possibility (that fits your description) is to use it in a backloaded horn: http://www.speaker-online.de/manger/
Old 11th June 2003, 02:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You might even find people using an MSW in a TML.

Regards

Charles
Old 11th June 2003, 03:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Soory forgot the link:

http://www.arduman.com/aa/Sayfalar/marco/3.htm

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!