Starting an F1 for the first time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Folks,
after a year or so of gathering parts (most via this forum) I am finally finished with my first First Watt amp...an F1. I figured I would start with the first of the series and go from there. This will be the first time i've started up an amp so the start-up and biasing process is new to me. Before I 'plug and pray' would anyone care to offer suggestions on last minute checks, double checks etc. ?
Also to clarify my understanding do i need to connect anything to the inputs to start the biasing procedure ? Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel.

P.s. I am trying to post pics but with no luck.

Pics

Frankenstein

Attachments

• 100_0571.jpg
    100_0571.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_0573.jpg
    100_0573.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 250
Hmmm...bias issues

Well the "plug and pray" approach thankfully did not result in smoke or fire. Unfortunately though I seem to be having issues setting the bias.

1)P1 only gives me a range of 18.5v to 19.1v across the drains relative to ground. Should be set at 13.8.

2)Drain of Q7 is a measly .575v instead of 3v relative to ground.

3)The voltage across r27-r30 is right where it should be at .59 v.

4)The gates of Q1 and Q2 are at 5.75v instead of the specified 7v.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel

P.s. The chassis is an ebay surplus from China. Looks great from about 10ft away.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not enough positive voltage being applied to the Gates of
Q1/Q2. Make sure the zeners aren't conducting, or the caps
aren't leaking at the input, or the values of r5-8 are correct.

No way a functioning Q1 and Q2 will only show 5.75 when the
input bias network is driven by 19V, unless something is
drawing the current off the input.

:cool:

Thank you Mr. Pass

Good morning, and thanks for taking the time to respond. I am getting a reading of .75v dc across all 4 of the zeners. (?) The values of r5-8 appear correct. As for checking that the caps arent leaking at the input could i get a little play-by-play as to how to go about it ?

Thanks again Mr. Pass,

Daniel.

P.S. I am starting to think that I'm in over my head...

Frankenstein lives...

Thank you Mr. Flemming. After switching the orientation of the zeners the amp now biases steadily at 13.8v . Before hooking this beast up to my C&C Abbys I have two more questions...

1) since i am not running balanced inputs do i need to make any allowances (ie jumpers) for this on the board ?

2) In reference to the differential voltage (50mV) seen by the loadspeaker , where do i take this measurement ?

Its a pretty cool world where people from all over the globe can colaborate and help one another via group buys, making PCB's, BOM's, and troubleshooting. A special thank you to Mr. Pass for sharing your visions and making all of this possible.

Regards, Daniel.

Thanks again Mr Pass,
Im getting 30mv across the right channel speaker terminals and 45mv across the left terminals. The amp has amazing depth to the soundstage but is surprisingly bass shy with my Abbys. (?) I'll run it in for a while today and see if it fills out. Paired with my 24v Aikido i dont seem to be getting enough gain.

Elwood, the amp chassis came from "biglawhk". They are pretty cheap but the shipping is almost a deal killer. I elected to wait 3-4months for ground shipping to make it more reasonable. Air freight is almost the same price as the chassis.

Regards, Daniel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.