Blown Transformer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2010, 09:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Blown Transformer?

I built an F5 several months ago and have been listening happily to it for some time. There was a 60hz hum from a poor arrangement of the grounding. I opened her up and rewired the grounding scheme to seperate the signal and power grounds. When I plugged it back in, everything sounded much better, hum was gone but after a couple of days the amp just stopped working.

I opened her up again and starting checking voltages. Fuse isn't blown and there's 120 volts on the xformer primaries. The secondaries still connected to the rectifiers measured .15v. Disconnected (no load) one secondary measures 86v and the other is 66v.

I'm using an Antek 18v 600va transformer and was wondering what might have gone wrong and wether I should just order a new one or if this one is somehow salvagable.
Old 21st February 2010, 12:59 AM   #2
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the AC values in on the rectifier bridge and the dc values out on the bridge with nothing hooked up to it???

Regards, Elwood
Old 21st February 2010, 07:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I can't measure that since I've taken the transformer out of the amp. Since it's clearly faulty I don't want to risk damaging other components. After pulling it out of the case and plugging it into 120v AC I got 90v AC on the secondaries. I really don't know what could have gone wrong to change the output voltage so drastically.. There's infinite resistance measured across primary to secondary so there's not a short and everything physically looks normal. It's still wrapped up nicely and hasn't been touched since it was installed.
Old 21st February 2010, 05:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

John Ango from AnTek got back to me this morning and recommended I check the fuse. It was blown but had a tiny bit of connection still. It had just enough material connected that it was getting the 120v from the wall to the tranformer but almost no current was getting through.

In retrespect, I probably should have checked the fuse first but the amp had a somewhat 'slow death' and had played poorly for a while before dying off. The fact that it still had voltage on the primaries made me assume the fuse was good. Lesson learned.

Hide this!Advertise here!