First Watt M2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
baaaad Papa , baaaad !

"The bias circuits take a couple of minutes to fully charge but then they settle into high precision. The slow charge is how I avoid that precision from creating any sonic artifacts. The first ones I made took a full 2 minutes before any sound came out at all. You can imagine the messages I got. I should have put something in the manual about it. Something like that's the tubes warming up! Also, as the M2 biases up, the output stage goes from class B to class AB to class A. What you get to listen to is the character of each without feedback."

:rofl:

:clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
oh boy ..... Srajan ....... what a wakoo is he !

I can' stop laughing ...... :rofl:

positively speaking !

if there were more FiFi journalists as Srajan ....... Mighty ZM will still read FiFi periodics

simple - smallest amount of mystery and rhetoric pathos , greatest amount of emotion involved ....

nice read

;)

"I should have put something in the manual about it. Something like that's the tubes warming up!"

The DIY version of this amp will have the countdown timer included, with a comment:

"Don't attempt to cut any wire. Sip you favorite drink, sit down and prepare you mind. In less than 2 minutes it will be blown away. After the sonic blast, pure emotions is all that remains..." :D

Attachments

• 42.JPG
    42.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,906
A nice review it is, too. It includes a lovely neologism, "tintinambulation". Literally it would mean the character TinTin walking, since ambulate means to walk.

tintin1.jpg

I think Srajan might have been thinking of the more prosaic "tintinnabulation", with no "m", which some of us remember from the Edgar Allan Poe poem "The Bells". But I like it this way better.

At any rate, he compares the M2 to a number of amps, in his thorough way, and in the end draws an analogy to EL84 tube amps. That's useful to me, and helpful in describing where the M2 fits in the First Watt pantheon.

PS. Five years ago I moved to Santa Fe NM, and coincidentally heard of "6 Moons". Srajan Ebaen was then in Taos, NM, about an hour and a half's drive away, and I made a mental note to get in touch and see if I could wangle an invitation to visit him and listen to some of the very interesting audio toys he plays with. But before I could wangle, he moved off to Cyprus. 6 Moons has exploded onto the scene, of course, and I honor him for what he has achieved. He has moved into my triumvirate of favorite audio reviewers, along with Art Dudley and John Atkinson. Actually, better to add Marja and Henk from 6 Moons and make it a pentumvirate...

For those who are not familiar with the recent history, for him to set aside his tube amps for First Watt products is a truly significant event. It was his reviews of the F5 and J2 that got me to finally join PassDIY, and to read the whole d*mn F5 thread, and to start gathering F5 parts, and to start trying to learn about SemiSouth transistors.

Srajan,

considering your current habitat, there's a potential risk that the latest word may become the stake of an old fued in that area :clown:

A wellknown Greek businessman is so fond of Tin Tin that every yacht he owns goes by that name, here's a picture of the (screwed-up) launch of his latest.

Attachments

• Bagli42.jpg
    Bagli42.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,512
Last edited:
I totally concurr that Srajan is one of the best and certainly the most eclectic of reviewers today. This review was a model of clarity and brevity and left nothing to be desired. In addition, I would guess NP's love of simplicity in amp building is rubbing off on S. as his prose is becoming decidedly more prosaic (in the best sense of the word), without loosing his personal touch;)

Last edited:
Can one bypass the input FETs if the 6k impedance is not a problem?

Dear Mr. Pass,

Since your product literature leaves me wondering, what if?

If this is something one could do, and if they did, with a preamp that does not mind the load, would there be a useful improvement?

One cannot help wanting the last tiny little bit, can they? Curiosity is at once wondrous and obnoxious, isn't it?

Cordially,

If this is something one could do, and if they did, with a preamp that does not mind the load, would there be a useful improvement?

One cannot help wanting the last tiny little bit, can they? Curiosity is at once wondrous and obnoxious, isn't it?

Why not take the preamp out of the equation entirely? Just put a passive attenuator ahead of the JFET input and drive it directly from the source.

se

That is not a possibility for me

since I need the gain for phono playback. This same line stage is also an intrinsic part of my DAC (both being Dave Davenport's designs)

One could like their exixsting line stage better than the buffer within the M2.

Being the happy owner of a J2 I am not sure I am ready to make the change, though I am tempted.

Just wondered if it could be (easily) done and if it makes much of a difference.

There is plenty of controversy surrounding the goodness of the "passive" attenuators. I wish it was always the best approach. Just think how much easier life would be then ....

Well, provided your preamp has a nice low output impedance (say 150 ohms or less), no DC offset, and no problems driving a 6k load (not a problem for most anything solid state) I don't see a problem. The JFET input buffer's really only there to allow for the M2 to be driven by a wide range of preamps. So if your preamp passes muster, I can only see driving the autoformer directly from your preamp as a plus.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.