First Watt F5 vs Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is exactly what I found! I got my hand on an original A5 and have been listening for a few days now. Like you describe F5 is wonderful, very crisp, but A5 has more detail, open and focus. The F5 lacks the detail, I could clearly hear more "noise" in between instruments playing, and this is without playing loud. The A5 better defines the individual instruments and positioning, it also has a warmer sound, not as sharp as the F5. My guess is that the pure class A SE design of the A5 is the main reason, push-pull on F5 output stage is not as good of a match to air properties as of being SE.

Saying that this is very system dependent, you need to have good speakers to be able to tell these differences. If your speakers are not that detailed at the hi frequency band then F5 may sound better, but it is actually not in my opinion.

Again do not get me wrong, F5 is an AMAZING SOUNDING AMP, but to my ears A5 is even better, at least in my system.

I am wondering what are the conditions for the A5 to clip? I am using an Aleph P, which has 16 dB gain I believe, using RCA - unbalanced. I can run full volume, using RCA on A5 or 20 dB gain, and I do not believe I hear any clipping. I have to be careful though…

Thank you,i will put bridges on bottom plate when will replace PSU resistors with coils,because bottom plate is even hotter.Hm i think the aleph 5 is better ,after listening about 5 hours of jazz and acoustic music on A5 i plug back F5 and sound become less detailed and open,more flat,maybe because of my loudspeakers.Dont understand me wrong,F5 still sound superb, but A5 is sounds better on my speakers.

This is exactly what I found! I got my hand on an original A5 and have been listening for a few days now. Like you describe F5 is wonderful, very crisp, but A5 has more detail, open and focus. The F5 lacks the detail, I could clearly hear more "noise" in between instruments playing, and this is without playing loud. The A5 better defines the individual instruments and positioning, it also has a warmer sound, not as sharp as the F5. My guess is that the pure class A SE design of the A5 is the main reason, push-pull on F5 output stage is not as good of a match to air properties as of being SE.

Saying that this is very system dependent, you need to have good speakers to be able to tell these differences. If your speakers are not that detailed at the hi frequency band then F5 may sound better, but it is actually not in my opinion.

Again do not get me wrong, F5 is an AMAZING SOUNDING AMP, but to my ears A5 is even better, at least in my system.

I am wondering what are the conditions for the A5 to clip? I am using an Aleph P, which has 16 dB gain I believe, using RCA - unbalanced. I can run full volume, using RCA on A5 or 20 dB gain, and I do not believe I hear any clipping. I have to be careful though…

How does the lower end compare? Which has better bass? Tighter and/or better defined? I am contemplating building the Aleph5. I think I have a sense of the mid and highs i can expect because I have an Aleph3 but it is lacking in the low end.

The Aleph 5 low end is beautiful, nice tight and plenty. The Aleph 5 can handle more power so when you raise the volume you do not get the distortion like in the F5, this is true across the whole frequency band. You just need to let the Aleph 5 warm up to operating temperature, at least 1 hour, to get the bass to its optimal tightness. For modest volume the F5 low end is also impressive, this amp is really a masterpiece, so simple but yet so incredible.

I Also wanted to add that what I found is that it does not matter what type of music you listen to, Jazz, Classical, or Rock the Aleph 5 is good for all of them. The same is true for the F5, I could not say that one is better for a particular type of music. Again it’s the whole package not just the Power Amplifier that makes the final sound.

When your system is good you can raise the volume and still be able to enjoy the music, the distortion is very low so it is not painful. Just be careful not to damage hearing, there is no reason to listen to loud music for long periods, it is tempting though...
How does the lower end compare? Which has better bass? Tighter and/or better defined? I am contemplating building the Aleph5. I think I have a sense of the mid and highs i can expect because I have an Aleph3 but it is lacking in the low end.

IME more power lead to more unnatural sound due to paralleled devices.

I suggest you look in the direction for more efficient speakers that also will provide you with better dynamics and more open sound.
Look into something above 94 dB/1W and you'll be a happy camper.

Six of one half dozen of the other, as i find high sensitivity speakers to have an unnatural sound. damned in all direction i suppose... :(

Aleph 5 bass

I was just listning to Fim Super Sound III (XRCD24) and Ian Janis Breaking Silence, Bass is really AMAZING with Aleph 5, deep and tight. If you own these two CD's you know what I mean, if you do not own them buy them, they are a must have, real low powerful and accurate bass. Anyway the bass on the Aleph 5 is very powerfull and accurate.

I was just listning to Fim Super Sound III (XRCD24) and Ian Janis Breaking Silence, Bass is really AMAZING with Aleph 5, deep and tight. If you own these two CD's you know what I mean, if you do not own them buy them, they are a must have, real low powerful and accurate bass. Anyway the bass on the Aleph 5 is very powerfull and accurate.

Both excellent cd's , Fim Super Sound III is exceptional and @ 36 .00 it better :) Rony what are you using for speakers ,what kind of load on F5 ? ...

As I mentioned before I am currently running the DIY Statement Monitors (4 Ohm, you can find them on HTGuide.com), I used them for both the F5 and Aleph 5. My brother built them, he also built the full size Statements and next week we will probably do a listening session on them. This would be the ultimate test, the Statements use dual 8" Dayton RS woofers and go down very low.

Both excellent cd's , Fim Super Sound III is exceptional and @ 36 .00 it better :) Rony what are you using for speakers ,what kind of load on F5 ? ...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tried 2 pairs of matched outputs on my F5 and found that the sound had a more forward presentation that I associate with more feedback. Since adding additional outputs increases the open loop gain and I didn’t change the closed loop gain it had more feedback. This is a great amp and it is all about the compromises that were made in the design. You can change it and it will work but it won’t be a F5. I guess any two DIY F5’s would sound different based on the implementation. I have a higher power version with a 33volt supply and a cascode input that sounds great and is very similar in sound to a stock F5 and it’s still not the same sound as a 24Volt “Stock” F5. :)

I have a higher power version with a 33volt supply and a cascode input that sounds great and is very similar in sound to a stock F5 and it’s still not the same sound as a 24Volt “Stock” F5. :)

Hi,

Two questions;

How did you configurate the base of the cascode transistor?
What's the difference between a stock F5 and a 24V stock F5? Papa's stock F5 has a rail voltage of 24V. Isn't it?

THX,
Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.