Threshold SA and Pass X series - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default Threshold SA and Pass X series

Has anyone could compare some gears of the two series?
For example, the old SA/4e and the new X250.5...
Which could be the winner in terms of musicality?

Cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
interesting question ;

are you sure that you already don't know what's the answer ?
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 06:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
interesting question ;

are you sure that you already don't know what's the answer ?
Yes, I'm sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
dunno what you mean with "musicality" but I can see few things which are main difference between these two - newer amps have less stages , have jfets in input , have SUSY implemented (besides being balanced) ...... they're also symmetric across all 4 quadrants .

in my book that means that sound is certainly more here , in your face (besides other things , not exactly depending of topology , but more of exact physical recreation of circuit .... meaning quantity of caps , layout , wiring etc ) ; maybe I'm wrong , but for me that means more musicality ;

I hope that I answered , un poco at least ......
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM

Last edited by Zen Mod; 8th February 2010 at 06:11 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Front Row Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
dunno what you mean with "musicality" but I can see few things which are main difference between these two - newer amps have less stages , have jfets in input , have SUSY implemented (besides being balanced) ...... they're also symmetric across all 4 quadrants .

in my book that means that sound is certainly more here , in your face (besides other things , not exactly depending of topology , but more of exact physical recreation of circuit .... meaning quantity of caps , layout , wiring etc ) ; maybe I'm wrong , but for me that means more musicality ;

I hope that I answered , un poco at least ......
Wow ! very concise response .... can you do the same for BA-2 vs F5 topology now
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Wow ! very concise response .... can you do the same for BA-2 vs F5 topology now
well - that's beaten to death too ..... but my ( humble , as always ) opinion is that you really can't compare them ..... F5 is little cute devil , and BA2 is straightforward hotrod , with less finesse and mucho heat ....

but both are fun , certainly
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Threshold SA/2 SA/3 Soderburg site? johnsciolino Pass Labs 4 23rd August 2014 04:57 AM
Threshold SA/ and SA/e series monoblocks gigi.vassallo Pass Labs 0 6th January 2010 07:07 PM
Threshold SA/4e and SA/2 Mywing Pass Labs 8 4th January 2010 10:45 PM
Threshold SA thomasfw Pass Labs 3 22nd July 2008 09:41 PM
I need infos about Threshold SA series (can't afford the XA-200 yet ;-) ) Thurax Pass Labs 3 18th July 2004 07:23 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:15 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2