Chokes for SE class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The choke in #18 looks like an AC powerline choke, and may not do well with a bunch of SE class A idling current. If anyone has an idea (or can link to a discussion) of how to evaluate an AC choke for this use, please share it with me.
Yes, it is.
Carpenter wrote that this choke with airgap gives 50mH, that would be enogh for your 400Hz 16R loudspeaker. The choke would give you 125R

Tyimo

He gave no data as to the source, and says that the minimum order is $1K, and then they must have an airgap cut?

Unless I get some more suggestions, I think the 70mH $27 Signal CH-2 choke from Digi-Key will be what I try.

In the 50 mH unit, I don't think they actually cut an air gap--the I E plates are stacked with no interleaving. Instead, they have E stacked on E and I stacked on I, and separated a hair.

The laminations they used on my choke air very thin.

All in all, I hear very little difference between the two types of choke. When I spoke with Hammond's engineer, I asked for a high quality product at a reasonable price. It seems they delivered the goods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.