(x) (x) = N_p - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2003, 10:46 PM   #31
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: No pic yet....

Quote:
Originally posted by carpenter

Ian, you should stay. People will be people, always. I for one would really miss you.
John you need a hanky? You always had a thing for big time, 'gone with the wind'-type goodbyes.
Macka is just regrouping and clearing his head, he'll return a stronger, better man
Old 7th June 2003, 10:55 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Grataku,

Without stating the obvious, I was referring to the Thread HI Jacking, It would appear the forum endorses it.

We have a way of dealing with that behaviour when you fly Qantas down here. My policy is the same.

If my amp was'nt finished how could I play it.

So please hop into some elses thread, and get out of mine now.
Or Perhaps you can enjoy the Sin Bin for a while.

Ian
Old 8th June 2003, 12:17 AM   #33
diyAudio Moderator

Gosh, don't read a thread for a day and it all blows up!

Ian, I don't think you need to worry, you are welcome here, and you seem to have a staunch band of comrades to defend your honour, certainly better than I can as a mod 'cos I know nothing about Ax amps

Comments have been made on this thread that are a little sharp, so I will be paying more attention to it now, so hopefully things will stay polite!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th June 2003, 01:49 AM   #34
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by macka
Grataku,

Without stating the obvious, I was referring to the Thread HI Jacking, It would appear the forum endorses it.

We have a way of dealing with that behaviour when you fly Qantas down here. My policy is the same.

If my amp was'nt finished how could I play it.

So please hop into some elses thread, and get out of mine now.
Or Perhaps you can enjoy the Sin Bin for a while.

Ian

Macka,
relax, you made your point, I made mine, we can agree to disagree, I thought I left it to that a couple of posts ag before you had to go off with your little charade.
I am sure at qantas they also have a minibar for the people too tense, I suggest you help yourself to that or you can spend some time in the sin bin for spewing bs and accusing people of thread jacking. Last time I checked this was an open forum.
Old 8th June 2003, 03:57 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Fine,

I am waiting access to a suitable hi resolution optic before I post the pics.

I am sure all would rather see a it in focus so you can see all the Tit Bits (her I mean).

The description for the moment : Mono blocks 350 x 350 x 150mm Heatsink at the back, the driver board is set in the top panel on black perspex so it can be tweeked and admired, with a nice black perspex front and Led. The heatsinks are Conrad 300 mm@F150 2 flange about 0.25/per watt.

The intention is to let the baby grow up to a 100 watt, the full size adult 200+ by adding more resouces (6 heatsinks, 4 300 va trannies, 32 Fets.......a very hot chick.

I was planning to portray the A/B with Aleph versus XA Alpeh and then mix with BOSOZ and its X sister. The technical conversations are fine but have been talked into the ground in over 1000 other posts thats all.

Ian
Old 9th June 2003, 06:38 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Prior to an further auditioning I have been checking a few things.

Regarding the infamous 13.4 volts which Grataku was commenting in part about earlier.

My scientific investigation has revealed this is not by design but is due to about a 7-8% sage in the mains voltage at the power point outlet in the building.

The power company has confirmed the voltage in the street is correct, so there is little I can do about it.

Maybe all the other wealthy residence in this apartment block are in possession of X Aleph boards which are also running at 13.4 volts. (that would account got 30 of the 700 boards)

I better order a truck load of Valium so they can all sleep at night.

Muhahahahahaha.

macka
Old 9th June 2003, 06:49 AM   #37
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Default little you can do?......

Actually, why not test more outlets in your dwelling. When I plug in my air compressor (I'm a carpenter, you know) there are many instances where I blow the breaker. I have to try several locations in order to get the beast up and running. Your kitchen counter and bathroom probably have stronger circuits. If you own your own home, then run a dedicated circuit from the main panel to your stereo and make it 20 amps while you're at it.

Just some thoughts.....

John Inlow

happy listening
Old 9th June 2003, 08:50 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Good point John,

I will check this out.

I recall a while ago when I made the Aleph 2 the rails were down to 42.5 volts (dc) but at other times they were up.

I have a feeling some of the neighbours run reverse cycle air conditioning in the winter (here at the moment) which loads down the distribution and there could be power factor problems in here as well.

Ian
Old 9th June 2003, 01:52 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grataku

I don't think so. Never mind the AC current source, I am talking about raw DC bias at various voltage in, YES, alephX but this work for just about any aleph:

30V 8amps Nelson Pass, 12-13V 10amps whoever.

There is no disputing, no trying to spin this simple fact that 10 amps are COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY at 12 v rails and that you'll run out of rail margin long before you run out of current when playing actual music.
Actual THD MEASUREMENTS, not suppositions or conjectures confirm that it is bad in terms of distortions to use such lower rails.

Why anyone would want to listen to higher distortion is beyond me. It comes down to personal preferences I guess, so there is no point in discussing this further.

OK, OK... I am starting to understand where you are coming from now. 10A bias is completely unnecessary (in an AlephX).
Realistically, you would never ever need it. But, what does it hurt?
As far as the lower rails go, I am completely on your side on this one. Early on it was posted that the low rails are a bad thing, and my simulations prove it to be so. Don't say it too much around here though, or you will have your head handed to you. I agree... there is a reason why Nelson is using higher rails, and why he has said on here that he doesn't recommend going under 25V rails. Of course, when you get to that power level (around 140W into 8 ohms) you don't need the extra bias, because you will have so much power available anyway (why would you need to double and quadruple that into lower and lower impedances?). That, and the dissipation will be way too high.
I still think that the bias should be as high as possible, because it subjectively improves the sound of the amplifier. When the designer of the circuit says so, you tend to believe him. When Nelson says so, there is no doubting it! Of course, there is no point in running a huge amount of bias with low rail voltages, right? I think this is the point you were making?
Anyway, not to beat this horse to death... I understand what you are talking about, but you won't convince anyone here that you are right. I am building an AlephX because I have the parts. Why not... the few people who have built it say it sounds unbelievable! If it works well, I will build one with higher rails (but it will be biased as high as my heatsinks can handle).
Also, it DOES make a difference whether you are using the Aleph source or light bulbs. There is a huge difference in the amount of bias you will need to not current limit into 8 ohms before running out of voltage headroom. No spin, no bull... just fact! That is why I disagree about your comment on the X-lite. Of course, as you said, the voltages on the mosfet are too low, and are not optimal.
Steve
Old 9th June 2003, 02:32 PM   #40
Henrik is offline Henrik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

As I understand the use of Constant Current Sources (as in the ZEN) and Aleph Current Sources (ACSīs makes the output stage belive itīs driving 16 ohm load when itīs only 8) they are there to raise the efficiency of the poweramp so they need less current for bias, I dont think they them selves contributes to the better sound. So if you runs 10 amp at the AX, why not try to remoove the active part and just leave in the constant. I think that Peter Daniel once did this with a good result. At 10 Amp you are close to make it with passive sources like the SOZ, I havenīt simulated but i think so.
Happy building

Regards Henrik

Hide this!Advertise here!