Aleph 30 Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've decided to take the plunge and build an amp. I've settled on an Aleph 30 and I'm now in the process of sourcing parts. I think the first part of the project that I'm going to do is the power supply. The A30 schematic shows a total of 12 electrolytic caps (8x20000uF and 4x22000uF) in the PS. So I checked on availability/price on Mouser and the total came out $275. :eek: I've seen some people mention surplus as a good option, but haven't been able to locate anything. Anyone have any leads on where to go? Should I just shell out the $275? Or are there other power supply designs that I should consider? I've also examined the A3 schematic and the A3 PS is simpler (i.e. fewer caps) but it has 25V rails instead of 22V. (A related thread says that this voltage difference shouldn't be a problem.)

On another note, I've been looking at heatsinks. I was considering Conrad (MF30-2F-151.5) but with shipping the total came to $170. They look like great heatsinks and the built-in dual rails might simplify chassis construction. Is this overkill for the A30 or again are there other options I should consider? Thanks!
Cam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.