Forte model 2: worth to change caps?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello, being on the budget for a preamp, i just acquired a model 2 from Forte. I am particularly interested to the phono stage of any unit as I do not have CD anymore (;-))
Is it worth to upgrade caps? Or better save the money and ask father Xmas a Threshold Fet 9?
In other words, can this unit modded sound in the league of the majestic Fet9?
Thanx so much

I just picked up a Forte Model 2 preamp and a looking for a schematic - also wonderinf if re-capping it would be worthwhile. I saw an old thread somewhere where a guy had upgraded to black gate caps and was very impressed with the sonic diffrence.

Wondering if you ever upgraded, or have a schematic?

I wanted to follow up. Everything tightens up when you change the caps. The sound became crisp and defined. It was the best I have ever heard my system. I put Jantzen Silvers in the 4.7uf spot and I'm unsure how much it affects the sound quality, but I suspect the fact they were 1% within spec of each other helps imaging.

I spent $240 on the component after recap and I would say it's every bit as good as modern preamps I have heard in the $2000 range, such as bryston bp-26 and the ayre kx-e. However, it doesn't have the same connectivity and options.

Waking up this thread since I have a related question.

Has anyone here actually recapped a Forte Model 2?

I see the screws that seem to be required to detach the PCB from the chassis, but there are a ton of wires going from RCA jacks, etc to the PCB.

So even if I detach the PCB, how will I flip to over to get to the solder side without detaching all those wires.

Pic attached - not of my unit, but so you get the idea.

Attachments

• FM2_inside1_800.jpg
    FM2_inside1_800.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 367
I'm thinking those wires were soldered from the top of the board which looks like double sided with vias in the holes connecting upper to bottom circuits.

Desolder just enough wires to flip it if needed...

Ugh, you mean no "silver bullet" that will allow me to do what I want to do with no work involved? :D

I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm in there, but a removable bottom would have made things SO much easier.

Thanks for the reply!