Threshold CAS-2 poweramp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

So I have a near perfect CAS2. I have changed all the caps out, including the main PS caps, and it sounds brilliant and has worked without a hitch for a couple of years. Unfortunately, however, just recently the right channel of the level meter has stopped working properly with all the LEDs lit up. The left channel, and the amplifier itself, are still working properly.

Would anyone here have any tips as to what part has gone bad? Is it an integrated chip of some kind or a discrete part? If the former, might it or some equivalent still be made?

It's unlikely to be one of the LM339's if the left channel display is working - best bet is to compare your healthy left signal channel input network with the right. The .47uF zit red tantalums would be the first caps to go - :) ... once you take the face-plate off :(

-Mal

Attachments

• UnvDspPkLed1.jpg
    UnvDspPkLed1.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Check the voltage across those A42's. They are being used as zener
references, and might not be developing the voltage you want.

:cool:

Nevermind, that would affect both channels.

One of the 339's on that side might be bad, injecting current into
the node the - inputs of each 339 have in common. Try shorting that
node to ground.

Last edited:
Having solved the problem with the level meter with help here, a Beethoven string quartet was interrupted yesterday when the music in the left channel was suddenly replaced with a loud buzzing sound.

Switching inputs and outputs has isolated the problem in my CAS-2. My first suspicion was that a transistor had gone bad, inasmuch as they are, so far as I know, all original. A pal with a background in electronics, however, suggested that would normally cause fuses to blow (none have). Further, he thought the buzzing sounded like a 60-cycle hum which suggested to him a problem in filtering power supply noise out of the amplified signal.

Any suggestions here as to what might be the likely culprit?

Dear Sir Nelson Pass,

I going to buy CAS2 amplifier for my Dali Grand speakers . Has it good bass controll and space ? I have e few nice amplifiers but I still look for something better :) Is CAS better than Yamaha MX1, Harman Kardon HK990 , Rotel RB990 or Sherwood AM7040 ? I owned even Accuphase P500 but i was still not that I'm looking for :)

Best Regards
Bogdan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.