Recommended first Pass Labs clone build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the bug again and I really want to build a new stereo amp. I have built 2 headphone amp to help get my rusty soldering skills back up to speed. The second amp was a SOHA-II tube hybrid headphone amp through which I listen to my Senn HD-650s. Absolutely amazed at the detail and fidelity i get through these cans. Now I am on a quest to do the same for my stereo. I am looking to get a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M speakers. Currently my source is FLAC, and the decode and DA conversion is on a Logitec Squeezebox3 (I plan to upgrade to a better DA converter next.) Additionally I also plan to begin listening to vinyl. What I'm looking for is the same holy grail that we all seek here on diyaudio: detail, stage presence, realism etc. I listen to just about every genre of music imaginable.

I know its a lot to ask and the details are vague. ( If you need more info please contact me! :) ) I really want to build a great stereo (or dual monoblock) amp so any advice on pass amps which I should consider would be welcome. Whch designs have become your favorites and why? What was the build like? Easy, hard? Thanks again and look forward to your responses.

Thanks!!!
Cam

The Aleph 30 design has the option of running it at a steep bias level, with still reasonable dissipation due to it's 24Vdc rails.
Boards for the AL-30 are easy to obtain, and all you have to do is whistle to get an excellent assembly manual/schematic for the amp.
There's also the option of making it a thoroughbred Aleph-J.
Cases for monoblock amps with up to 150W idle dissipation can still have an acceptable size, without breaking the bank.

Your intended loudspeakers are both relatively low efficiency and low nominal impedance, they'll require high output current but not necessarily high output voltage.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
They're all so good. Hard to choose. I converted 1 tube lover and an Aleph 4 owner to the F5. Both guys spin vinyl and CDs. Both started building the F5. F5 is very stable down to 2 ohms. No caps in th signal path. Tiny amp boards with a couple of different souces for the PCBs.

The sound is very clear without being harsh. I won't say the F5 doesn't ad it's own signature to the sound, but does it sparingly.
Whatever is going on at the front end will come through clearly at the output of the F5. One thing everyone comments on is the sound stage.
My biggest thing about it is how sound rises out of nowhere effortlessly, be either lows or highs, it's fast!

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.