Why FET amplifiers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not Nelson Pass, but my response is that JFets have a few advantages over bipolars:

- self biased with nothing on their gates
- triode like curves
- different spectra of distortion from bipolars
- different clipping characteristic than bipolars
- typically low noise

...others will likely suggest other factors as well

oh - they "sound good". :D

_-_-

He also has produced many single or 2 stage designs and although bipolars have enough gain compared to FETs, they also require base current effectively lowering input impeadances very often requiring an extra stage. Simplicity is usually better.
In the output stage, it is my experience that MOSFETs have more reliability and rugedness without the second breakdown, thermal runaway etc.
Oh, I'm not Nelson either. :cool:
:Pawprint:

I understand germanium transistors have less Vbe =0.3V, but do germanium transistors have smoother turn on as well?
There are lots of Russian Ge transistors that some say have very little leakage.
Perhaps, if they are more linear than Si types then there could be a comeback for them.

Tom

second breakdown under another name often occurs in MosFETs. Thermal runaway in vertical MosFETs afflicts them just as much as in Power BJTs.

Ummm... no.

Many Mosfets have a negative tempco until some threshold is reached beyond which they no longer can "turn off" on their own, and only then does thermal runaway occur.

Afaik, there are NO bipolars that exhibit this characteristic. Name one if there are Andrew.

All power circuits that use bipolars that produce substantial heat - like a power amp - include external devices to reduce the bias to prevent runaway. The typical Mosfet output stage does not.

_-_-bear

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008

Attachments

• mosfet-thermal.png
    mosfet-thermal.png
    15 KB · Views: 136
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.