Building mini-A (BrianGT boards), IRFP240 backordered, can I use IRFP140?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m stateside, and have an order ready to go at Digi-Key and Mouser for mini-A, DCB1 and a pair of LM3886 chipamps.

I’m building the mini-A using Brian’s boards. For now, it’s the low power version with 15 volt rails as opposed to the Aleph 30.

But the IRFP240 that is called out on Brian’s BOM is out of stock at both Digi-Key and Mouser.

I need 4 for the mini-A and another 4 for the DCB1(I’m building two of these).

I noticed on the DCB1 BOM, you can substitute IRFP140’s for the 240’s

Can I do that for the mini-A?

Is that substitution in the mini-A a compromise soundwise?

IF so, I will just wait the few months for the IRFP240’s.

I also noted that at Digi-key, there are IRFP140 (International Rectifier) and IRFP140BP (Vishay), with the Vishay’s being twice as expensive as the IR”s.

Top level specs don’t seem different in any way. But there must be a difference, one that might affect which one I buy if I do the substitution for the mini-A?

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Curt

Thanks very much everyone for the help on this. Looking at Digi-Key once again quickly I see that

IRFP140NPBF made by International Rectifier are $1.84.

IRFP140PBF made by Vishay/Siliconix are $4.47.

Is there something I should know about the International Rectifier version:)?

Reason why I ask is that I will eventually build the Aleph 30 version which use a fair number more output devices.
If the lower priced ones from IR are are perfectly fine then thats quite a savings.

And yeah, J’, if its really no trouble, could you take a look and see if you have 4 IRFP240's and what you would like for them including shipping to California?
Oh and I have never seen that version of the mini-A circuit board. But then again, I have not been around here very long.
The boards I have from Brian (chipamp.com) are black with gold vias.

Regards

Curt

Those are the SMD version only a few boards were mad, and i had most dibs on them :)

Id be happy to send you the IRF's no problem, ill look this afternoon.

When i bought all my parts i bought all dale resistors and all the higher end cap's. I have 4 of them running at 18-19V rails cant remember exactly.

I will be changing my psu soon to the new black psu boards and a crc psu, as it sounded better than just 2 caps and diodes.

CRC is worth every penny, and i love the mini alephs lots of power clean sound and easy to build.

J'

The boards I have from Brian (chipamp.com) are black with gold vias.

Regards

Curt

Are your mini aleph boards black with gold ? I should order a set just because :)

This made me all happy when i got them, it was a surprise as Brian didn't tell me he was writing this on the boards.

I was actually at his house when we were designing them.

P1030462.JPG

J'

Yup., black and gold, real beauties.

But I cant seem to come up with a picture of them at the moment.

On sale now till end of January at Brian's site.

BTW, I really like SMD, actually prefer to build that way when the low power levels will let you get away with it.

So yeah, those are nice SMD boards you have pictured there.

Curt

J'

Yup., black and gold, real beauties.

But I cant seem to come up with a picture of them at the moment.

On sale now till end of January at Brian's site.

BTW, I really like SMD, actually prefer to build that way when the low power levels will let you get away with it.

So yeah, those are nice SMD boards you have pictured there.

Curt

Yes i have 4 brand new IRFP250's for you :)

Send me a pm, and i'll mail them next week :)

Jase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.