diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Balanced B1 Buffer (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/159104-balanced-b1-buffer.html)

Doug Fraser 20th January 2010 06:45 PM

Balanced B1 Buffer

1 Attachment(s)
Hi:

I have read through the B1 buffer thread and while there are several references to using the B1 in balanced configuration there has been no schematics posted.

I want to use the B1 to buffer a 4 deck pot. I need balanced line in and balanced line out.

Will the following work (using the Pass B1 Buffer)? Only one channel is shown.

Are there any changes required?

Thanks
Doug

Doug Fraser 22nd January 2010 03:35 PM

I wrote to Nelson directly and asked him the same question as above.

He responded as follows:

I will be giving it a try.

Regards,
Doug

Doug Fraser 22nd January 2010 04:21 PM

For some reason the quote from Mr Pass did not show up in the above post.

His reply was

That should work fine

regards,
Doug

Nelson Pass 22nd January 2010 07:14 PM

That's because I replied in special ink that only you could
read.

:cool:

Floric 24th January 2010 11:10 AM

Hello,

a friend of mine uses a configuration like this for some time now (over a year), works perfectly.

regards

Flo

mrsagibit 23rd March 2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Fraser (Post 2055181)
Hi:

I have read through the B1 buffer thread and while there are several references to using the B1 in balanced configuration there has been no schematics posted.

I want to use the B1 to buffer a 4 deck pot. I need balanced line in and balanced line out.

Will the following work (using the Pass B1 Buffer)? Only one channel is shown.

Are there any changes required?

Thanks
Doug

Hi Doug,

Newbie here. I am interested in building a balanced b1 buffer. Now I am trying to finish the 200 over pages of thread on the b1 buffer. Your thread is the only one that I have searched and came across that discuss about balanced circuit for B1.

Just a few questions,

1. What do you mean by volume controls are ganged?
2. Since I am using 2 b1 buffer boards, how do I tie in one volume to control both balanced L/R channels?

Thanks.

Arick 23rd March 2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsagibit (Post 2128162)
Hi Doug,

Newbie here. I am interested in building a balanced b1 buffer. Now I am trying to finish the 200 over pages of thread on the b1 buffer. Your thread is the only one that I have searched and came across that discuss about balanced circuit for B1.

Just a few questions,

2. Since I am using 2 b1 buffer boards, how do I tie in one volume to control both balanced L/R channels?

Thanks.

Answer:
1) It means that the volume control (in this case) has 4 distinct variable resistances or if you prefer 4 "channels". You will also see them referred as to 4 ganged pots (I do mot know the explanation of the word)
2) Buy using one of these (AS AN EXAMPLE). This type of potentiometer is able to handle 4 channels.

ALPS Quad Potentiometer RK27114 blue velvet 5K 10K Pots - eBay (item 260562977001 end time Apr-03-10 05:10:06 PDT)

Cheers:cheerful:
Eric

orpheus 23rd March 2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsagibit (Post 2128162)
Hi Doug,

Just a few questions,

Thanks.

You could also use two stereo volume controls, and then have a volume control for each channel. This might be easiest to manage.

Aaron.

mrsagibit 23rd March 2010 09:24 AM

Thanks Eric and Aaron for your kind explanation! :)

tsvisser 12th July 2010 06:56 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the best implementation of this differential idea but using a bipolar power supply with +/- rails?