Balanced B1 Buffer - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2012, 01:34 PM   #21
Arick is offline Arick  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I thought the PIN1 problem required the XLR PIN1 to be connected to chassis right next to the XLR socket.
Correct! I failed to mentioned I chose a point on the chassis very close to all 4 XLR's. Maybe I should have made 4 holes each closer to every single, XLR, however It would have required more drilling and tapping and I had enough of it by then! I also used a larger wire to this ground than the signal wire. This was to ensure a lower resistance path to ground. I referred to Mr. Neil A. Muncy paper (Noise Susceptibility in Analog and Digital Signal Processing Systems) as my reference.
Cheers,
Eric
Old 15th February 2012, 10:18 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I now have a perfectly working balanced B1 bufferamp.
I used shielded input<>output wiring; no hum no noise, just music.
For a noob, not bad, I think, like my knob?
Ruudjoo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1front.jpg.JPG (45.7 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg B1inside1.jpg.JPG (168.5 KB, 742 views)
Old 15th February 2012, 11:14 PM   #23
Arick is offline Arick  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruudjoo View Post
I now have a perfectly working balanced B1 bufferamp.
I used shielded input<>output wiring; no hum no noise, just music.
For a noob, not bad, I think, like my knob?
Ruudjoo
How did you make your knob? Look's nicely polished!
Eric
Old 16th February 2012, 06:59 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Bought it in Denmark cheap; is overstock from Thule Audio, that was high end audio equipment that existed only for a few years. These were sold then to replace the standard boring grey knob. Came by post from Denmark to The Netherlands for 7 Euro.
(sidekick-audio.com : Thule spare parts)
Ruudjoo

Last edited by ruudjoo; 16th February 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 21st May 2012, 03:42 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Balanced B1

hi ,
I have my B1 boards running a balanced in ( XLR + to in - to ground and pin 1 floats no connection got that from Nelson's amps,THANKS NELSON,so far no hum,noise or other wise ,I am feeding signal from a computer or shingaclone, to minidac wm8741 to deq2496 to dcx2496 4 way config ,to the B1's to The amp's ( chipamps,swtp tiger.01 nelsons F5) to nelsons slot loaded speaker for bass, 12 speakers per slot,4 inline mids and 2 ribbons with 2 silk domes with 2 ribbons for the highs,,,,,,not done yet I have a HOMEWRECKER with a peavey 18" low rider with a 550 watt fet amp I have almost got it all going but I'm OLD and Slow so I'm not done yet,I would like to use F5's for all the amps except the sub ,got to test that fet amp first.....to be continued
Old 28th May 2012, 02:48 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Did you consider using the B1 with bipolar supplies and in bridge mode? It would have a balanced output as well. The input transformer may not be required if you have a balanced source. Output here is 970mV into 10k. Bandwidth is very nice with no weird things. The advantage of using a bipolar supply is obviously that no coupling cap is required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1 buffer bridge.JPG (69.2 KB, 466 views)

Last edited by dirkwright; 28th May 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 28th May 2012, 02:53 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noSmoking View Post
hi ,
I have my B1 boards running a balanced in ( XLR + to in - to ground and pin 1 floats no connection got that from Nelson's amps,THANKS NELSON,so far no hum,noise or other wise ,I am feeding signal from a computer or shingaclone, to minidac wm8741 to deq2496 to dcx2496 4 way config ,to the B1's to The amp's ( chipamps,swtp tiger.01 nelsons F5) to nelsons slot loaded speaker for bass, 12 speakers per slot,4 inline mids and 2 ribbons with 2 silk domes with 2 ribbons for the highs,,,,,,not done yet I have a HOMEWRECKER with a peavey 18" low rider with a 550 watt fet amp I have almost got it all going but I'm OLD and Slow so I'm not done yet,I would like to use F5's for all the amps except the sub ,got to test that fet amp first.....to be continued
What's the shield in the cable connected to? What kind of cable are you using?
Old 28th May 2012, 06:53 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

hi,
The cable I use is low loss microphone cable,The ground or pin 1 floats not connected to anything,One thing normal (Unbalanced signal) is approx. 15 db below balanced in other words you got more signal than you need, I use a pot or a pad to get the signal lower ,but only if it's a problem to my amps input,I use a 50 K pot usually does the trick,I have also sean the cinch circuit ,it uses a resistor in the + side and a cap on the - side back to gnd ,this circuit was comming off a dac chip ,I think it's there to trap the HF off from the dac outputs.I haven't had to use that yet! here's some pics of my setup! Thanks MR.Nelson Pass for all you do for us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3666.jpg (181.3 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3665.jpg (329.2 KB, 375 views)

Last edited by noSmoking; 28th May 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 28th May 2012, 07:40 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noSmoking View Post
hi,
The cable I use is low loss microphone cable,The ground or pin 1 floats not connected to anything,One thing normal (Unbalanced signal) is approx. 15 db below balanced in other words you got more signal than you need, I use a pot or a pad to get the signal lower ,but only if it's a problem to my amps input,I use a 50 K pot usually does the trick,I have also sean the cinch circuit ,it uses a resistor in the + side and a cap on the - side back to gnd ,this circuit was comming off a dac chip ,I think it's there to trap the HF off from the dac outputs.I haven't had to use that yet! here's some pics of my setup! Thanks MR.Nelson Pass for all you do for us!
OK, so your source is not balanced. The shield should be connected to chassis ground at one end in that case, otherwise it's not doing anything for you.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:47 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default No connection will be made at that end

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
OK, so your source is not balanced. The shield should be connected to chassis ground at one end in that case, otherwise it's not doing anything for you.
A balanced B1 is in the works

Hide this!Advertise here!