Fidelity of Son Of Zen (SOZ)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The design of the Son Of Zen amp has intrigued me for years and I think I've found a way to build one without breaking the bank on heat sinking. The larger question is what level of sound quality can I expect from a SOZ amp?

I know that Mr. Pass has graciously shared many interesting designs with the DIY community and some of those designs are interesting from a designers view (how to build using certain topologies) but the sound quality is a little lacking. Please don't interpret my statement as criticism of Mr. Pass's designs. I've read many of his papers and enjoyed each one I've read.

With the right speakers it can sound darn good. But the amp has a verry low damping
factor and you need to keep this in mind. When I built one I was using an open baffel
speaker with a qts of .4 but with the low damping factor of this amp the new QTS was about .8 so in my case it sounded better than an amp having a " better " damping factor.

I would be driving a set of Jordan Jx92s drivers in a 0.25 cubic foot ported box or the set of open baffle speakers I'm building based on Martin J. King's (MJK) design based on an Eminence Alpha 15A and a Fostex FE103E (OB Theory). Though I will be replacing the FE103E with an FF85k.

Will the SOZ match up well with my speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.