Aleph 60 capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have availiable two Mallory capacitors 37000MFD 75Vdc (max surge 95Vdc) each.
Can I use them to test the rest of the amplifier (Aleph 60) or I have to wait to get 12 capacitors 10000MFD each @ 63Vdc?
How critical is the dc voltage of the capacitor for the amp?

Happy holidays

Yes, you can use the mallory's to start testing. Specified voltage on a cap is the max rating. So as long as you do not exceed the 75V Dc in your case (which you won't, building the ALEPH60 which uses 35V on each rail) all will be fine. Simply use one for the postive rail and one for the negative. Observe correct polarity please.

regards

Dear Ioanni,

Its safe to use your 37000ìf caps for testing but for permanent use i would suggest using 10-12 caps rated at 10000 at 50v or 63v which will give u a good safety margin as well as longer life expextancy and lower ps supply internal resistance. I am using 10 caps of 10000ìf at 50v made by nippon chemi-con with good results. In another aleph project I built which is on passdiy.com I used 2 caps surplus,rated at 100000ìf / 30v with rail supply +/- 26 with no problem at all.

Happy Christmas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.