Does a singlerail PP need to be more complicated?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A Zen/Schade-inspired driver for the two output devices. With PP, current can be set lower than SE for the same Pout. Could this go very wrong:rolleyes:?

The choke could be substituted by a voltagecontrolling AC-CCS. And how the floating bias voltage should be arranged I don´t know. Global feedback shouldn´t be needed as the PP SF is 100%feedbacked already.

This was just a fantasy in the car on my way home from work today....

Attachments

• ZenPP.PNG
    ZenPP.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Nice idea!

I would prefer using a DN2540 instead of a sk170 j-fet. The Supertex DN2540 can run a 100 - 200 mA.
Why not a White cathode follower type of output arrengemant? I dont like mixing N and P devices as complimentary pairs. The output should run in class A anyways to lower distortion...

Did some adjustment to the circuit above. Now the driver is a JFET mini-Zen with an AC-CCS that controls the drain-voltage. This way we can also simplify the PP-follower by getting rid of the floating bias supply.

By using a PP-follower we also get an environment friendly simple amp that theoretically only needs 50% standing current compared to a standard SE SF. Or with (std) 2A we should get an amp with more muscle for lowZ loads.

Attachments

• PP3.PNG
    PP3.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 154
Hey Woody,
A current source wouldn´t fix a stable voltage. This one is a gyrator with fixed and stable midpoint voltage for the outputstage. Also the MOSFET in the gyrator helps tempcomp, so that one is undercontrol(I hope;)). I get indications of -100mA from 25-100 degrees C.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.