Pearl Two - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2011, 11:56 AM   #771
diyAudio Member

Thanks

Also, I was thinking of using this PS:

Power Supplies, Power Supply, Bench Supplies, Transformers
Old 29th July 2011, 11:22 PM   #772
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy or Nar ,

would this be a good starting place for a PSU ? /www.quasarelectronics.com/velleman/k8042-symmetric-1a-power-supply-kit.htm

Thank you , Rich
Old 30th July 2011, 08:10 AM   #773
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
Hi Andy or Nar ,

would this be a good starting place for a PSU ? /www.quasarelectronics.com/velleman/k8042-symmetric-1a-power-supply-kit.htm

Thank you , Rich
Yes, I think it's a nice one to start with

Seems to be LM317 / 337 based, and ajustable. You'll only need to add xformer.

For later upgrading, I suggest to use either a shunt reg as the one seen with the Salas Buffer, or a symmetric one based of the Pearl original PSU, like below.

Click the image to open in full size.

I use this power supply with a new UGS preamp, it is very stable, dead quiet, excellent regulation, provides excellent sonics. Layout takes care of ground lines that have a "star" like pattern, this helps to lower the noises created in ground nodes.
I'm very happy with those supplies They can virtually be used on any voltage, with small resistance adjustments. I plan to use it again but @ 30V for upgrading of my Aleph Ono clone

Best,

nAr
Old 30th July 2011, 09:21 AM   #774
milosz is offline milosz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pearl 1 channel imbalance

RE: 9 db difference left / right when using Dynavector 10x5, not seen with V15 -III

I think the issue has to do with differences in gain between the JFET input stages, which, for some reason is exaggerated when using the moving coil Dynavector (even though it is a moving coil, 10x5 is a 'high output' MC,it has a 2 mv output, not much lower than the Shure) Although the Dynavector has an output voltage similar to the Shure, I bet the CURRENT is much lower. (Although maybe I am NUTS, who knows)

Using a signal generator as input, I measure about 1 dB more gain in LEFT channel vs RIGHT

Anyway - the parts I have in this Pearl were a bag of parts assembled by a guy who never got around to building it; I bought the whole kit of parts, less transformers and chassis, DC umbilical, etc.

In this kit, the JFETS (2SK178BL) all had their tops painted white with whiteout, and marked with a 2 digit number an a number of dots. I have no idea what these are- gain readings? Transconductance? 'ON' resistance?

Should I have use these numbers in some way? Look at the schematic area, below, I have noted the numbers written on each FET in BLUE for Left, RED for right- should I combine these in some different order?

PHOTO OF RIGHT CHANNEL FETS

PHOTO OF LEFT CHANNEL FETS
Old 30th July 2011, 09:26 AM   #775
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

You should measure the V drop on each source R, and calculate X 4 resulting idle current for the quad. Then, same measures on the other channel. if you have current imbalance it could explain the mismatch with a particular cartridge.

If the jfets are well matched, they should at +/- 0,02 mA between the quad. And stereo quads should behave the same ...

Hope it helps.

nAr
Old 30th July 2011, 09:44 AM   #776
diyAudio Member

Yeah that might be it. I guess I could measure the current for each FET and then use matrix alegbra to work out which transistors could be used in each quad to give the closes match between the two channels, or use some brute force recursive thing in Excel to figure which two sets of four to use. Hate to unsolder a bunch of FETs, I hate unsoldering. Never looks as nice afterwards. But this could be it.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:45 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

Default THANKS!

-oh, I forgot to say THANKS!
Old 30th July 2011, 10:05 AM   #778
diyAudio Member

Default SSLV1.1 BiB

Hi Nar ,

got a PM from Salas regarding PSU . This is a design you mentioned above .
. Very versatile and a proven design . I have B1 boards and the Pearl kit ,so building something that can power both would be good practice . I also like the idea of being able to use it for a new Aleph amp later on .

Are the PCB available do you know ,or anyone know ?

thanks , Rich

BTW, I also forgot to say thank you for the help .... sorry !

Last edited by richluvsound; 30th July 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 30th July 2011, 10:21 AM   #779
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosz View Post
Yeah that might be it. I guess I could measure the current for each FET and then use matrix alegbra to work out which transistors could be used in each quad to give the closes match between the two channels, or use some brute force recursive thing in Excel to figure which two sets of four to use. Hate to unsolder a bunch of FETs, I hate unsoldering. Never looks as nice afterwards. But this could be it.
You could also slightly vary R Source to get more precise currents between the quads. Even if it's practical, in theory it's not as good as one could think, plus it induces unsoldering too

I would suggest you use patience and unsolder carefully the 8 jfets, then testing them to know their real IDSS. If needed, you can mix them with some new ones that would have a good matching value. K170BLs are becoming rare and prices go up nowadays.

Quote:
Hi Nar ,

got a PM from Salas regarding PSU . This is a design you mentioned above .
. Very versatile and a proven design . I have B1 boards and the Pearl kit ,so building something that can power both would be good practice . I also like the idea of being able to use it for a new Aleph amp later on .

Are the PCB available do you know ,or anyone know ?

thanks , Rich
I thinks Salas rather prefers using a shunty than the design I attached My mistake, if I recall properly the B1 has more than a layout, original boards don't have Salas PSU, and there is a DCB1 version that has the shunt built in ... not sure what you want to use here

Quote:
BTW, I also forgot to say thank you for the help .... sorry !
No problem

nAr

Last edited by nar; 30th July 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:48 AM   #780
diyAudio Member

Default Post 773 !

Nar , thank looks straight forward enough .... are there PCB's for this ?

Rich

Hide this!Advertise here!