Pearl Two - Page 192 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2013, 12:10 AM   #1911
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

whatever - it's better that way - carefully made Pearl to be OK , and easier to manage Bryston to be blamed

I'll find schmtc of their gain block ( shown as triangle - it's discrete OP , if memory serves me well ) and think what you can do , except cleaning balance pot

in your boots - I'll toss it (balance pot) out of signal route anyway ; connected like that , it's good only for Panorama function in mixing decks , not serious piece of good equipment

have you any chance for quick mock-up of "passive" pre ? when made correctly ( and in your case you don't need much gain , if any ) it can be more rewarding than mediocre gain solution

when I'm saying correctly - let's say that B1 is first in line of gadgets worthy of making
Old 24th February 2013, 12:11 AM   #1912
diyAudio Member

and yes - Buzz and Jaccolina - buzz of

you'll not see me with t on end of nick

Old 24th February 2013, 12:24 AM   #1913
diyAudio Member

Hi Wellerman,

its the Pro s Concorde . Not MM . Not Ideal ,but don't see much point in investing in better with this problem .

The balance pot has just had a squirt ,but problem persists ( it does work with other inputted components )

One of the side affects of the meds ... is a short fuse - feeling like chewing my own arm off . Maybe not the best place to be coming from .

I'm off to a friends next weekend - will take it with me and try it on his set up !
Old 24th February 2013, 12:28 AM   #1914
diyAudio Member

Hi Zen ,

" let's say that B1 is first in line of gadgets worthy of making

I'll look at by-passing the balance pot ....

B1 is sitting in the cupboard waiting to be finished .... need to get to it I guess

Rich

Last edited by richluvsound; 24th February 2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 24th February 2013, 12:39 AM   #1915
diyAudio Member

Having trouble with my Pearl 2. Another dumb mistake - had a jumper on Cx.....I am taking break any going to listen to some records. Mumford and Sons "Babel" sounds nice, it will sound a lot better with a good phono stage.
Old 24th February 2013, 10:07 AM   #1916
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
Hi Wellerman,

its the Pro s Concorde . Not MM . Not Ideal ,but don't see much point in investing in better with this prp !
The Concorde Pro S has 5mV output, so the Pearl will amplify that to 2.5V. Most pre-amps should be able to handle that. Replacing the Concorde might be worth it, if only for the preservation of your vinyl, the recommended 4g tracking force is quite high.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to test the Pearl on other equipent, could save you some frustration if the Bryston turns out to be the problem. But then I wouldn't understand why the problem is only with the Pearl. There is no problem with the balance all the way to the right?
Old 24th February 2013, 03:27 PM   #1917
diyAudio Member

Hi wellerman ,

thanks for the help .

The B1 is going to get finished- just need to order the transformer and a few bits for the chassis .

The cartridge is only used for testing ,but will go as I get the chance

I dont get any distrtion when balance to the right ..... just weirdness most sinister LOL

Rich
Old 25th February 2013, 02:35 AM   #1918
diyAudio Member

Questions for the experts. I Still have one bad channel. Just very loud hum at moderate volume, no music.I had replaced all the ZTX450s (Q1, Q3, Q10, Q11) and the Q2 (ZVP3310).
- I can only get V down to 5.7 V at the “Set p1 for 0 V” pad at maximum adjustment for P1!

- All other voltages are good.

At this point I am thinking Q5 and Q4 is bad. What do you think? Should I replace Q4 and Q5 with matched pair of 2sk170s? The other channel is good, but should those be replaced as well to match? I have a matched quad of 2sk170s.

Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 02:41 AM   #1919
diyAudio Member

best way is to find ( i think it's somewhere in the thread ) schmtc with measurements in strategic points , then to compare , write down your voltages and post it here

sorry if you already made that , I'm sorta greenhorn in this thread
Old 25th February 2013, 03:09 AM   #1920
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
I'm sorta greenhorn

Hide this!Advertise here!