Pearl Two - Page 188 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2013, 04:30 PM   #1871
poli is offline poli  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks bnorrish and 6L6!

Yes, we had eventually all ZTX450 replaced, so as well the Q10 and Q11.
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:02 PM   #1872
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorrish View Post
Wellerman - What did you use for the TT ground lug?
a chassis part that is meant for banana plugs, ordered locally. It also accepts bare wire through a hole in the side, but I will attach a banana plug to my TT ground wire later.
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:05 PM   #1873
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Hi everyone,
finally I got my Pass Pearl 2 working!
Poli
That is looking great! The 22 muF caps are quite big, what type are they? Also quite some capacitor real estate in the PSU...
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:08 PM   #1874
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Yes. It's the center of the board's ground potential for the circuit and PSU, and therefore the quiet spot for attaching the phono ground. It's not really mentioned in any of the literature, I know about it only through speaking with Wayne at Burning Amp.
Hopefully the center that I created on my prints (about the same spot) will have the same effect...
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:14 PM   #1875
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, likely you will have no problem. The original Pearl didn't have the dedicated pad and you needed to make a jumper between a couple components, and that was the ground spot. It worked fine.
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:29 PM   #1876
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorrish View Post
Replacing the Yamaha HT Receiver, using it as a Pre-Amp out to the F5 made a big difference. Most 'average' listeners would say my current rig sounds great. Compare to a digital source, and it is obvious there is room for improvement on the phono side. 6L6 and others have been polite in saying my Rega Bias 2 cartridge sucks compared to other choices. That may be a future bottleneck after I get the Pearl 2 going.

I also plan on building a B1 buffer pre-amp, it will be interesting to observe the improvements (hopefully) as I upgrade each element. I have Polk TSi300s, OK for the money - another candidate for an upgrade. Thinking a Troels TQWT if I can realistically find the time to build.
Have you lowered the gain for the Bias2 cartridge? I think its output is too high for the standard 55 dB gain (will give you almost 3V ouput). Time to save up for something like a Goldring Eroica
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:34 PM   #1877
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, likely you will have no problem. The original Pearl didn't have the dedicated pad and you needed to make a jumper between a couple components, and that was the ground spot. It worked fine.
Until now I have not heard any hum and that was with the TT ground still connected to the amp in stead of the Pearl. Just a little hiss when I hold my ear to the tweeter.
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:37 PM   #1878
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellerman
Have you lowered the gain for the Bias2 cartridge? I think its output is too high for the standard 55 dB gain (will give you almost 3V ouput)
It's awfully hard to swamp the input of the Pearl. Just run the gain in the stock position. ...don't add any gain, obviously...

Quote:
Until now I have not heard any hum and that was with the TT ground still connected to the amp in stead of the Pearl. Just a little hiss when I hold my ear to the tweeter.
If it's quiet, don't mess with it!
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:07 PM   #1879
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's awfully hard to swamp the input of the Pearl. Just run the gain in the stock position. ...don't add any gain, obviously...
Yes, but the distortion at 5mV input is already around 0.25% according to the article by Wayne and the Bias2 has even more output. Expect between 0.3% and 0.35% distortion. But you won't destroy it, so just listen and decide if you're happy with it.
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:59 PM   #1880
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellerman View Post
Have you lowered the gain for the Bias2 cartridge? I think its output is too high for the standard 55 dB gain (will give you almost 3V ouput). Time to save up for something like a Goldring Eroica
I am going to start stock. Dynavector 10x5 is more realistic - down the road a bit. I wish I could change the gear purchases to show up as Home Depot on the credit card so I can hide it from the wife.

Hide this!Advertise here!