Pearl Two

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Sorry for long breaks. I'm a caregiver for a close relative with cancer. Not much time left for DIY and fixing this phono stage.

Motivated by the lack of music in my life, I've replaced stock output caps (22uF, Nichicon Muse) with my chunky radials (2.7uF 800V M Cap Supreme polypropylene) today.

The DC offset on the output is close or below zero mV on both channels.

But the sound is deceiving. Mid and top is A OK. But it lacks of kick, bass and lower register sound quite obviously comparing to what I've had with lytics. I also have to turn a volume more probably because of that.

My DCB1 preamp has 20K impedance load.

I've left bypass C8 .1uF film caps in.

Here's a picture of it. (I didn't remove the leads of those chunky caps in case I won't like them and would use in some other project.)

Attachments

• IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 901

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You can change the gain down if you wish, and if that makes for better system harmony, by all means try it. :D

Remember, however, that it's almost impossible to overload the input with any cartridge currently made, so there's nor reason to do it from a performance standpoint, save that you will have less amplification of the Pearl's (very quiet if you built it properly) noise floor.

From my practice, 45-55db should be alright with MM cartridge at 47k load.
However from past experiments, 55db gain at 100ohm isn't sufficient to my ears.
I like using a SUT (step up transformer) with about 30db gain, configure the Pearl total gain at around 40 - 45db gain at 47k load. With the SUT combination, it does sound very wholesome and best setting. (using a Denon 103 type). YMMV with other microphone or SUT which are designed for different gain.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My Pearl 2 has a 100 ohm resistor installed in the R20 position. Specifications call for 100 ohm loading on the cartridge I'm using. I need to demo a turntable/cartridge I'm selling which specifies a 47k ohm load. What happens if I hook it up with the Pearl 2 configured the way it is?

My Pearl 2 has a 100 ohm resistor installed in the R20 position. Specifications call for 100 ohm loading on the cartridge I'm using.
I need to demo a turntable/cartridge I'm selling which specifies a 47k ohm load. What happens if I hook it up with the Pearl 2 configured the way it is?

If it's a moving magnet cartridge like Shure or Grado, don't even try. If it's a moving coil, it should be ok.