Pearl Two

Pearl 2 Inverts phase as you Guru's are aware... I use a headphone amp so speaker lead swapping is out...plus it would affect my dac. Id prefer not to have my carts wired backwards. so...

Has anyone got any brilliant ideas to directly remedy this (aside from Wayne's suggestions of swapping turntable cart lead or speaker leads?

how have you guys accommodated this? Just seems good practise to not overlook it. Is there a way to correct put phase inversion through a user toggle switch, or a way to hardwire the correct phase into the box?
i wonder what kept Wayne from correcting the phase inversion in the pearl 2 design..

.. costs for me are around 700 CAD$ for the pearl and the powersupply parts. but there were some basic tools i needed to get er' done, plus i've invested in some rotary switches and a few other tidbits to experiment with in my build (extra Dale resistors, and an extra one or two of everyone just in case). Transformer, switches and case selection can add up too depending on choices. Shipping to canada is pricey too .. so avoiding those extra small shipments is important.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
i wonder what kept Wayne from correcting the phase inversion in the pearl 2 design..

maybe fact that he's engineer , being aware of fact that any AC generator (which each gain stage is , per se ) is just AC generator , and can always be turned upside down

same goes for your cartridge ; reversing leads phase doesn't mean flipping needle :clown:

Totally! swapping cart leads is okay in many cases, such as with my Grace F9 MM except its not always that simple... Heres where i'm coming from.

I listen to headphones 90-95% of the time, and cant just swap driver leads. :(

Ortofon SPU MC, and the xpression MM. I love em and have owned several other ortofon carts... but there're no wires to swap! So id have to reconsider buying one.. Not that I wouldnt jump on the opportunity to own my own Koetsu in lieu of! mmmmm.. but something about those ortofons.. perhaps its the fond memories.

If I can manage to borrow something such as my uncles Koetsu's im not going to swap leads on it since its not mine. He's meticulously sorted it to use with his Mitch Cotter Setup - B1 TT, phono-stage and preamp. ..and who wouldn't want to listen to their pearl play a koetsu!

..sounds like there arent any novel means to craft an inversion switch into the design since its Single ended... In the end a little phase inversion isnt so bad (as long as i dont think about it)

Ill keep an open mind and if i find anything, i'll be sure to share. ...wonder why wayne did it that way with the pearl2. just a consequence of the design i suppose.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
there are several ways of swapping phase , but just few when speaking of SE stages ( without going further in debate are balanced phonostages good or not ) ; each of them is having everything with fact - is audio gnd connected to safety gnd , or not

however - gnd is just state of mind :clown:

you can ground (connect to safety gnd) cold end or hot end ...... as long you are taking in account what's happening with preceding and following stages

if cart is T4P , you can swap leads under the arm

I got HIFI 2000 enclosures for both the power supply and the Pearl II. Unfortunately I messed up the front panel of the power supply when making the hole for the switch, so I had to re-polish it. It does not look the same anymore, but fortunately it will be spaced apart from the enclosure of the Pearl II.

Some pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and the inside:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

NICE choice! I ordered cases very similar to those from the very same place! Nice to see how it might look! COOL :) I like the extruded alum sides. Gives it that top notch industrial POWER look. Going with the neutricon power connectors instead of XLR though, and a P-Core Xformer at 2x24 1A.

there are several ways of swapping phase , but just few when speaking of SE stages ( without going further in debate are balanced phonostages good or not ) ; each of them is having everything with fact - is audio gnd connected to safety gnd , or not

however - gnd is just state of mind :clown:

you can ground (connect to safety gnd) cold end or hot end ...... as long you are taking in account what's happening with preceding and following stages

if cart is T4P , you can swap leads under the arm

Yes, the balanced debate. Well it would be easier to craft a polarity inversion switch as the two active pins to xlr out could be swapped. (not sure if that would addess the "phase inversion".. cant say i truly understand it all.

But single ended... I dont know if we can just swap Pos and Signal Gnd in the same way.. ..or can we?? I figured that if pos and GND on SE were swapped they'd short and no sound would come out. or maybe i'm confusing signal ground, power ground and chassis gnd..im so new to this though im just guessing. ...

So.. with the RCA.. would swapping Sleeve with Tip do the same as swapping pins in an XLR? Could this be done safely and effectively at the RCA phono input, for example?