Pearl Two

Wellerman and 6L6,
both of you many thanks, especially for the drawing!
I have to change my earth grounding in the PSU. So far I have only grounded the transformer and the chassis, but not the PSU (rectifier) itself.
The RCA jacks are insulated from the phono chassis and phono chassis has no ground connection, neither to earth wire nor to PSU chassis, so that should be ok.
Will modify my PSU now.
Thanks again!
Cheers
Poli

Mine's slightly different (I didn't use the same PS). The phono ground and the unmarked ground pads on the Pearl boards are connected to the Pearl Chassis, which is not grounded to earth. The RCA jacks and power connections are the same as 6L6s, floating. The PS chassis is earthed for safety.

Also, I used 2 conductor shielded wire for the signal in and out. This hummed like crazy until the shield was connected to the RCA ground.

Good stuff guys, grounding issues are fun wow!!
It would be nice for you to take note ACV of the output or even better yet an FFT plot. Great way to compare implementations &measured results
Test condition would be with inputs grounded, usnig a true RMS meter. If you have weighting filters, try them out as well.
Cheers
Rick

Well it means that the noise is so low that your meter can not measure it, which is a good thing. Thus for you, the noise is in the micro-volt range as it should be.
I am assuming that you have a regular DMM, which usually have limited audio BW, so that would make the noise BW less. Okay if hum is the dominant source, but it is not in your case since you are not the one having hum issues.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is there any problem with a power cord from the power supply to Pearl 2 board that is 4, 5 or even 6 ft long? If so what is max? All I can really find related to the topic so far is the the power supply should be at least 3 feet away from the phono boards for quiet operation, can i assume that 4-5 ft is "better"? Asking because I need at least 5 ft for planned set up.

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Is there any problem with a power cord from the power supply to Pearl 2 board that is 4, 5 or even 6 ft long? If so what is max? All I can really find related to the topic so far is the the power supply should be at least 3 feet away from the phono boards for quiet operation, can i assume that 4-5 ft is "better"? Asking because I need at least 5 ft for planned set up.

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Mine has got a 5ft braided cable between the psu and Pearl. I added 2 ferrite cores for just in case it might pick up hf noise. It seems to work fine this way.

Need to replace the tone arm on the 1200 ... anti skating is shot and the counter weight won't balance . Need to do that before I invest anything into vinyl and a cartridge .

Going to try a different arm?

Is there a dedicated thread for 1200 projects ? Don't want to go off topic here .

Don't think so. Start your own thread.:)

jeff