Pearl Two

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How critical is the Wattage or VA ? ...... Am I creating too many problems
using this .... ?

MULTICOMP|MCFE050/25|TRANSFORMER, 50VA, 2 X 25V | Farnell United Kingdom

or this .... BLOCK|RK40/22|TRANSFORMER, 40VA, 2 X 22V | Farnell United Kingdom

Also available from these guys for a couple of quid less.They seem to be tied in with Farnell so don't get the price difference. Farnell are good and quick though having been woken up at 7.30 in the morning by there delivery people even when some items have had to come from one of there european sites.

MULTICOMP|MCFE050/25|TRANSFORMER ENCAPS. 50VA 2X25V | CPC

Pearl Problem ?

Gents ,

So , now I need some of the genius lurking . I have a problem with one of the boards . I keep blowing fuses .

Voltage from PSU is solid and stable @ 40.2 VDC on both + & - . There was
little smell when I first turned it on . The LED dimmed never to return .
The fuse is 250mA . I have had the working board running for about 3 hours with no problems . I have taken photos , visual inspection proved sound . Solder joints are solid with no shorts .
Short of dismantling the board are there any suggestions on how I may find the fault . ?

thank you , Rich

At least, you should change the on-board regulators and the led for new ones :)

If no improvement, go on with the bipolars replacement ... at least I hope the precious jfet are still alive, but maybe not.

You could also have fried some resistors. Your mileage may vary.

Best,

nAr

Last edited:
I had it working last week ,but not with proper PSU . I turned it off and got some pretty frightening cracks through the speakers ....

I have not used it since .... When I say working board .. I mean it doesn't blow a fuse ...

I got the .0033 uF suggested ,put it in and lost another fuse . Now back to the 4x 1000pf I made up and fuse is ok .

Just changed cables ... thats not it . The distortion is consistent through L&R

I get sound ,but nothing I'd want to listen to, except maybe as an alternative to water-boarding .

Trying to laugh about it ,but it aint easy as the cost starts to eat into other things ! B1 is a thing of fantasy for the foreseeable future !

Wounded , but not dead yet , Rich

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Use the "Ground" pad for the common (black) lead on your multimeter.

Measure (+) volts on the bottom leg (further away from the heatsink) of R3 or R4

Measure (-) volts on the bottom leg (Again, further away from the heatsink) of R31 or R33

I will take a photo and make some notes on it.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Here is the annotated photo -

24vtest.jpg

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's wonderful news!

Start looking for backwards components. Then start measuring resistors one at a time.

Also, somewhere on this thread there is a schematic with the proper voltages drawn in. Check those.

Yes, Wayne is a wonderfully nice guy. I had a chance to sit down with him a pick his brain about the Pearl 2 at Burning Amp, I walked away more knowledgable and with a few insights into the project. A great guy through and through.