Pearl Two

Hi. I already have a separate power supply from my Pearl project, I'll just re-used it and decide later on which one sound better ;)

Here the actual boards. There was a few errors on the pictures I posted previously. They are corrected on the real boards.

Attachments

• Pearl2.jpg
    Pearl2.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 1,012
Tomorrow just in time for Christmas, I'll post picture of the partially assembled boards, the rest of the parts are back-order. By the way I bought the nice Mundorf M-Lytic for the big 10KF caps ;)

Indeed, they are nice :nod: :nod: :nod:

You're welcome for the list, indeed half the job of all DIY projects is the parts selection. Glad it was useful.
When I do my list it's always troublesome ... doing such a parts list is a real time saver. But hey, sometimes fun is also in searching for the parts you plan to use ... :cool:

As per Budwiser request I post my PSU artwork with wiring of the GBUs I/O etc. Pdf is zipped for filesize limit. Seen from top but can be mirrored easily. Just check the GBUs/capacitors polarities ;)

Merry Christmas to everyone,

nAr

Attachments

• psu_layout.zip
    460.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Just use first rate MilMax IC socket, gold plated, high insertion force. TO-92 fits perfectly in these. I used them years ago in my PassLabs Xono and never had a problem. I used them now with all matched parts. On my Pear 1 I had a burned FET from one of the QUAD (certainly from a very bad spark I heard with a defective tonearm wire on my Thorens TD124. It was then easy to find a match from my stock of FET. In circuit matching is also the best.

I bought 0.1% 10 ohms resistors for the matched Quad.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I used all MKP1837 from parts connextion, but it looks like the .1 are out. They don't fit in well, but can fit if you work with the leads a bit.

Using a plain Denon 103 cartridge, the phono rig with my Pearl 2 sounds totally nonagressive, sweet and detailed, with a good soundstage. Some of this the nature of the cartridge character for sure.

I used a Salas shunt Reg for the power supply. (attached)

In order to achieve good gain, decreasing R14 did not add much gain, but replacing R15 jumper with a 1k resistor did give more gain. It could still use a bit more.

Attachments

• SalasShuntRegForPearl.jpg
    SalasShuntRegForPearl.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 863

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Algar Emi, thanks for that wonderful parts list. For those of you looking for parts, I'm getting almost everything from mouser. It's all there, just have to look hard enough.

Algar, the transformer is a 2x22VAC... 30 V is after rectification and filtering. You have it down as 30VAC in the parts list.

One question: For LM7824, will this work as a replacement?
MC7824ACTG ON Semiconductor Linear Regulators - Standard

Here's the part number if the link doesnt work: 863-MC7824ACTG
Mouser is out of LM7824 for now.

Last edited: