Pearl Two

I would like to say thanks to Mr. Pass and his company for allowing people who got there order in on the first day at the lower price, to get the items at that price. This is my first time trying something like this and figured 100 bucks for what he was offering was too good to pass up. If the price was 200 I would not have been able to try this. Not because of the price itself, but since this my first attempt at something like this (where a mistake on my part could ruin everything), I am not sure if I would have been willing to attempt this as first go around.

I told my wife about his post and that he would honor that “wrong” price she was sort of taken back that a company would do that. I have always heard great things about his designs and am very happy that I may be able to get a Pass product in my equipment rack.

I will probably need some help in trying to locate cases and power supplies for this unit but from what I read on this forum there are enough folks that would be willing to offer advice and help.

So, thanks again to Pass Labs.

James

Here is a thought. You guys who are getting the lower price could consider a contribution to DIYAudio. I owe Nelson and this board huge thanks for the support and learning over the years. I try and kick a little to the board when I can as it is a service we all use and it is easy to take for granted. Tha includes things like shared designs of world class gear and free distribution of those ideas.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Will do. Shortly.

Dab nab it !!! Thanks NicroSurft !!!
I have to upload from my camera onto a different pc on
the home network because last year the usb/software went
wacky on mine. No amount of reloading could fix it. So, I've
been loading on my wifes pc and networking it over.
Well, last month I botched my wifes pc. It thinks there is a
new device, the keyboard. To load it requires supervisor
access. Well, if I can't type in my supervisor password, wifes account
doesn't have a password, I can't load the drivers!! Thought I could
copy pics to a thumb drive, oh yeah!!! Will not recognize it!!
This could take a while. Could try reloading her Xp.

Size-wise, how are the Pearl 2 boards versus Pearl 1?

And speaking of which, due to procastination, I have a set of PCBs and FETs for Pearl 1 but never got around to ordering the remaining parts. So now I'm wondering if I should just sell/give away what I've got and go for Pearl 2?

Last edited:
Dab nab it !!! Thanks NicroSurft !!!
I have to upload from my camera onto a different pc on
the home network because last year the usb/software went
wacky on mine. No amount of reloading could fix it. So, I've
been loading on my wifes pc and networking it over.
Well, last month I botched my wifes pc. It thinks there is a
new device, the keyboard. To load it requires supervisor
access. Well, if I can't type in my supervisor password, wifes account
doesn't have a password, I can't load the drivers!! Thought I could
copy pics to a thumb drive, oh yeah!!! Will not recognize it!!
This could take a while. Could try reloading her Xp.

Have you considered a SD/SDHC/etc. USB card reader? Then the camera's memory card looks like a USB thumb drive and the camera software is irrelevant.

Much easier than reloading XP :D

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is a thought. You guys who are getting the lower price could consider a contribution to DIYAudio. I owe Nelson and this board huge thanks for the support and learning over the years. I try and kick a little to the board when I can as it is a service we all use and it is easy to take for granted. Tha includes things like shared designs of world class gear and free distribution of those ideas.

Here's an even better thought, everyone should do this regardless of price paid, for the same reasons stated. I dont think anyone is entitled to "pass" on this responsibility just because they paid 200. Compared to the retail price
of Pass units, this is still peanuts for a quality designed item. Just because Mr Pass decided to honor the price mistakenly given places no greater debt on those in that position, a position gotten into merely because some immediately jumped on it on others waited? While I agree members should contribute, your limiting it to those who jumped first sounds a little of sour grapes.

russellc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have you considered a SD/SDHC/etc. USB card reader? Then the camera's memory card looks like a USB thumb drive and the camera software is irrelevant.
Much easier than reloading XP :D

Sorry for the OT about my PC woes. The SD reader would be nice.
I'd still need to get the keyboard driver loaded for my wifes PC. ;)

As far as a contribution to DIYAudio, please note the STAR under my Location

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sorry for the OT about my PC woes. The SD reader would be nice.
I'd still need to get the keyboard driver loaded for my wifes PC. ;)

As far as a contribution to DIYAudio, please note the STAR under my Location

I didnt realize that's what that star was about. There will be one under mine shortly. I noticed the OP didnt have a star either.:rolleyes:

russellc

Wow! :eek: The mail just came (11:52am EST) and lo and behold a package with PCBs and jfets. They look super. :)
Very fast service/delivery.
A big thank you to the folks at Pass Labs. :up:

I also received my set this afternoon. A bit surprised as that was indeed very fast!
(my wife won't be too happy, I only just cleaned up after my last project)
:rolleyes:

Super thanks to all at PASS DIY!

and a picture! :D

Attachments

• pearl2_tt.jpg
    pearl2_tt.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,130
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pearl Two price

Sorry about the price issue. I was half involved in the conversation on pricing.
I don't set prices because I forget things like the cost of storing things, rent, a full time person dealing with DIY etc. Besides my wife just spent $150 on .5 ounces of some perfume that will be down the drain. Thanks Cycltron guy!
Well not really you.

So, was there a parts list and schematic with the boards?
Also, what power supply will you or others be using with the pearl 2???

No schematic or BOM. :( Just a nice invoice and the boards + FET's. Hopefully Wayne & Pass can get he article posted soon ;)

The Pearl 2 has a regulator on the board. I suppose I'll start with that, and whatever suitable transformer, diode bridge and caps I have laying around. Though I may eventually try a shunt regulator. I've used a couple of the twisted pear placid boards for some other stuff and they sound quite good. Note sure how much benefit a shunt would be here...

-Chris