Pearl Two

Why you all wasting your time waiting to build Pearl Two phono preamp when you can build much better Aleph Ono or X Ono ? They are not much more complicated and expensive, and are well documentated designs. Many variants are available.Universal, tried and tested phono preamps.

Why you all wasting your time waiting to build Pearl Two phono preamp when you can build much better Aleph Ono or X Ono ? They are not much more complicated and expensive, and are well documentated designs. Many variants are available.Universal, tried and tested phono preamps.

As a DIY'er and a father, I appreciate a certain level of simplicity and ease of access. Should I happen to find more time between work and family I might build an X ono.

For now, I *VERY* much appreciate that NP plans to offer boards and even maybe matched FET's. If it is even 70% of ono I will be happy and likely have a better preamp than anything I can buy for similar $$.

In the meantime, I have a simple opamp phono stage I'm working on - so while I am excited to get my hands on pearl 2, I can wait a bit ;)

Comin' on kind of heavy, ain'tcha? I use a DB Systems MC-only stage that I think is great--for what I want--and look forward to building a reasonably priced MM/MC pre for not much money. That's how I waste some of my time.

Much better based on what? Like any review for any product the review is purely the reviewers opinion. Many varients? Which one to choose? Just asking.
Simply speaking,Ono and X ono are more elaborate circuits than Pearl and Pearl Two, with second stage cascode and better current sources etc. It should and must be sonically superior. Simpler is not always better in audio.
My main phono stage is Borbely ,old J-fet and bipolar design , an outstanding preamp. I decided to build X Ono when i saw 2500 dollars price for factory made units. I made PCB myself and all material , including humble enclosure, costed me about 80 dollars . Electronic components are so cheap today.
It works perfectly , but not better than Borbely which is complementary symetrical design with DC servo.
The best X Ono PCB version I have ever seen was made by Nagard Acoustic , and Nagard is the member of this forum.

kamis said:
Simply speaking,Ono and X ono are more elaborate circuits than Pearl and Pearl Two, with second stage cascode and better current sources etc. It should and must be sonically superior.

Should? Must? I can't wait, Kamis, when the Pearl 2 boards are available. Then
you can build one, and post your results to show your use of 'absolutes'.

You "should and must" Kamis.:D

Sounds great, Wayne.
Marvelous Mark will be waiting in the wings to order my set, and hopefully, by
the end of summer, I will be able to enjoy and share the scintillating bouquet
of sound with friends.
sideways1-small.jpg

kamis said:

Should? Must? I can't wait, Kamis, when the Pearl 2 boards are available. Then
you can build one, and post your results to show your use of 'absolutes'.

You "should and must" Kamis.:D
I do not like your arogant attitude. Gramatic mistakes are normal for people whose mother tongue is not English. The last thing i wish is building inferior preamp to one I already have. I hope one day Wayne will publish XP-15 project. It will be real chalenge. Wayne designed this preamp for beginners just like you .