Pearl Two

Pearl 2 - Lack of "Attack"

Last weekend, I had a chance to substitute my Pearl 2 into a very revealing analog rig that was running a Musical Surroundings Phonomena. While some of the listeners commented that the Pearl 2 had a bit less edge and a deeper soundstage, the overriding comment was that the Pearl was lacking in attack on percussion, and was generally kind of slow and lazy sounding. The host played a particular jazz drum solo, and it sounded like two completely different recordings on the two phono preamps, not in the Pearl's favor.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done a A-B comparison like this, and if there may be something not quite right in my build? How does percussion sound on yours compared to other quality preamps?

Thanks,

Mark

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Funny you should mention the Musical Surroundings Phonomena. Saw a review of it just today.

Are the load and capacitace setting on both the Pearl II and the MSP set the same?
If you set the MSP to the same setting of the Pearl II, does the MSP sound different?
Did you build the Pearl II to suit your cartridge?

Just some thoughts.

Funny you should mention the Musical Surroundings Phonomena. Saw a review of it just today.

Are the load and capacitace setting on both the Pearl II and the MSP set the same?
If you set the MSP to the same setting of the Pearl II, does the MSP sound different?
Did you build the Pearl II to suit your cartridge?

Just some thoughts.

That's a good question - I forgot to mention the loading. The rig was running a Dynavector and the MS preamp was set to 30 ohms loading.

I had 47Kohm resistors in sockets in the Pearl 2, so after the first comparison, I pulled them out and ran it with no resistors on the inputs. So definitely not apples-to-apples, but I don't know if going from zero to 30 ohms would make that much of a difference.

Both preamps were set to 60DB gain.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
My experience is limited, but I have seen changes in sound when changing the loading on a Audio Research Phono Pre. Every change, no matter how small, made a difference in sound. I remeber having a preference that differed from the owner of the phono pre.

Is no resistor infinite resistance or was there a jumper inserted? How's that work?

The next time I'm at his house, I'll have to remember my spare resistors

Yes and report back, please :)

Last edited:
My experience is limited, but I have seen changes in sound when changing the loading on a Audio Research Phono Pre. Every change, no matter how small, made a difference in sound. I remeber having a preference that differed from the owner of the phono pre.

Is no resistor infinite resistance or was there a jumper inserted? How's that work?

Inserting a jumper would short the inputs and mute the signal. There was no resistor in R19 or R20.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
programmed current for positive shunt reg : 60mA

programmed current for negative shunt reg : 30mA

per channel

back'o'napkin calc of exact Iq , per channel :
positive leg : 4 x 5mA + 3mA + 2 x 1mA +10mA= 34mA
negative leg : 2mA + 4,6mA + 10mA = 16,6mA

edit : presuming that each input Jfet is in 5mA ballpark

:clown:

Is that a Pearl II or X-ONO current consumption figures? I'm trying to figure out what shunt settings I need.