Pearl Two

Finally done. I put this off last year and this winter got motivated again
Didn't have any serious issues surface :eek:
I used solid silver in teflon tube and shielded it a gutted RG cable for the internal connection of PCB
Power wiring is a 3 wire braid with copper shielding. Gain pcb is isolated, its enclosure is shielded thru power shield and terminates inside PS case
Signal path I used PRP resistors and 1837 caps with Silmac 22uf output
Been running it in for about 5 hours with no heating of any components just 2C more on + reg than - (28C)
have tried 2 low output MCs so far from my collection Accuphase AC2 at .17mv and a Fidelity research mk3 at .14mv
My final system uses a Winlabs Jewel at .4mv output
No hum issues yet
Used a plastic milk carton plastic to shield the mur860 and housekeeping pcb at the AC entrance
will post pics when I figure out how to do it from my powerbook (always have difficulty)

regards
david

Last edited:
Finally done. I put this off last year and this winter got motivated again
Didn't have any serious issues surface :eek:
I used solid silver in teflon tube and shielded it a gutted RG cable for the internal connection of PCB
Power wiring is a 3 wire braid with copper shielding. Gain pcb is isolated, its enclosure is shielded thru power shield and terminates inside PS case
Signal path I used PRP resistors and 1837 caps with Silmac 22uf output
Been running it in for about 5 hours with no heating of any components just 2C more on + reg than - (28C)
have tried 2 low output MCs so far from my collection Accuphase AC2 at .17mv and a Fidelity research mk3 at .14mv
My final system uses a Winlabs Jewel at .4mv output
No hum issues yet
Used a plastic milk carton plastic to shield the mur860 and housekeeping pcb at the AC entrance
will post pics when I figure out how to do it from my powerbook (always have difficulty)

regards
david

Which value resistor did you use for R14? I assume you went to 300 ohms for a full 65db of gain with those LOMCs.

I used 300. I might change this when when I put it in my main system (Audible illusions 3a) line section.
Have been testing with an Audio Alchemy DLC I pulled out of closet.
BTW Don,t change removable headshells/carts without turning the unit off first or you will take a quick trip to the bathroom to clean up! Talk about motor boating....

I used 300. I might change this when when I put it in my main system (Audible illusions 3a) line section.
Have been testing with an Audio Alchemy DLC I pulled out of closet.
BTW Don,t change removable headshells/carts without turning the unit off first or you will take a quick trip to the bathroom to clean up! Talk about motor boating....

Do you find that there's enough gain using 300 ohms?

I know what you mean. Pulling a turntable interconnect out of the Pearl with the amp turned on will also result in house-shaking jolt and a trip to the bathroom :eek:

McQuaide
Remember, this is just a burning phase and haven,t put it in my regular system yet. Right now it goes into a DLC to a B&K amp to Monsoon desk top speakers. My regular system is an Audible illusions 3a- Sota Star ET2 air arm/ Krell 100 monos/Quad ESLs or Martin logan SL3's, Vandersteen 2wq

If something going to go thermal, I'd rather have the Monsoon go nuclear than the others if you know what I mean..
Why can,t I drag pics from my desktop to post area... Always a problem for me

[IMG1421.jpg]

Attachments

• IMGP1421.jpg
    IMGP1421.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 546
  • IMGP1436.jpg
    IMGP1436.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 525
  • IMGP1425.jpg
    IMGP1425.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
[IMG1421.jpg]

They're beauties :cool:

Nice analog rig by the way. I would be curious to hear your opinion of the Pearl 2 once you put it to the real test.

What I like about mine: very quiet, lots of gain, huge sound stage, solid bottom, extended top, high resolution, yet non fatiguing. What I am still unsure about: dynamics, and vocals - the latter seem recessed a bit, but this could also be the cartridge (VdH MC One) or its alignment. Overall, I love it.

6l6
The pcb is floating from its enclosure along with the rca,s
The bnc style connector,s outer barrel connects to pcb,s case
I braided the 3 wire power cable (kimber style) floating +\-/sigGD to pcb

Now I put copper braid shielding over the power cable connecting bnc so pcb case is grd.
It terminates inside the PS floating for now (still a work in progress)

The brass ground connection is isolated from its case. This is the signal star ground that connects the pcb,PS ground points, caps etc and the 35amp rectifier mentioned in waynes article
The AC power cord is foil sheilded, but I have not connected it yet. It enters the case on the bottom right into a copper pipe and terminates At the back top to the small pcb that has the fuse,cl60, 4.7 ohm 2 watters, ac cap (xono) style.
The earth wire connects to the PS case. I have not tried a 10ohm/cl60 combo yet here. I haven,t explored the full potential as I need to terminate the power cable shield and foil ac wire to see if any residual noise can get lower. It,s faily quiet now, but I have to put into my regular system. I,m not done yet

Regards
David

Oh, the rcores
They were labeled 2x24 at 115v and were actually 2x28 that put me at 40.5 vdc unloaded. I was going to rewire them and still might. I have run right at the limit of the regs at 40, but have backed it down with a small variac for now to 34 vdc.
Still a work in progress
Cant remember who I got these from last winter, but it was an ebay seller and his email sig was john 630 or something. Very expensive when you factor shipping to USA.

Regards
David

Pierre
Just listening to what I got so far, it hasn,t grossed me out yet nor produced any fatigue yet. The idea of passing a signal through a 22uf cap didn,t turn me on the whole way, but so far I have to admit those silmac caps seem fairly transparent. Burning it in with fast piano records and of course
Al Demeolia's Elegant gypsy album...if this album doesn,t get your needle cherry red, nothing will!

We,ll see what we get once the dust settles.
Regards
David

Last edited: