Pearl Two

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Scuse me.
"in situ" is fancypants latin for "at location", you measure the cap while it's mounted on the board, 5pF is uncanny little.

The 5pF and the 1M resistor make a high pass filter, ~31.847 Hz with f = 1/(2*Pi*R*C) , dampens everything below that by 10dB per decade.
Means, if you feed the cap a signal from a sinus generator that's 1/10th of that frequency, you'd see an amplitude on the output that's 10dB smaller if the cap is 5pF.
If you use two known caps of different value, you can precisely figure out the stray capacitance of the board.

(stuff i had poly-u classes in, both math classes and audio amp electronics, so please don't see me as some wise-guy jinni)

Thank-you for describing the technique in detail. I knew what you meant be "in situ" I just wasnt following on the "how to" of it. I'll have to wait until I have a little more equipment to pull that off. All in good time.

Thanks again,

Russellc

What is missing?

Sorry about that, i just ran an estimate by head.

pF times a Million is 1/Million, so 1 divided by (5pF *1M) is 1/5th times a Million, is 200,000
200,000 divided by 2*3 is 33,333
3 is 4-2/3 % off for a rounded off pi of 3.14
Makes 31.847Hz, so the real corner frequency is ~31.847Hz or ~31,847 for the US.
(i'm a turd)

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, I wasn't looking for freebees, but would like to purchase the matched pairs we would need.

exactly. The deal was what it was, I would have to purchase them anyway.
I just dont want to have to buy a bunch of them, learn to match them, obtain what I need and match them, if I can just purchase them. Hardly a reason to declare a "perfect world" unless someones's world is WAY messed up. Its only a component. I've had the ZEN aand Bride of Zen for over 10 years with out building them, I'm sure this can wait without anyone's world not being perfect.

Otherwise, how are these dudes matched? If its doable for me, I'll match a load of them. Now, everythings perfect again!

I'll call and see what the dealio is at Pass Labs.

Russellc

Last edited:
Guys, member BLUES sells matched Toshiba little FETs and BIG fets. I would PM him.
My guess is that the first Q6-Q9 will work with set of four received in kit, and Q4-Q5 need to be matched. I am not sure if matching between channels is needed.

Thanks for the assist once again Mike! You're closing in on John Stockton...

Wormhole to my Thread on my signature line...