F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

Volume level is very adequate in everyday use. Definitely this is not a party amplifier. I use it together with 89db 3 way floor stand speakers (with big bass driver) And the overall sound is very nice and delicate, also the low frequency level is very good with these speakers. My Leach is somewhat less clear but gainclone have much higher level of top frequencies ( maybe the reason is roll of LF). I like all my amps, but from the sound quality point of view, the F5 is the best - with the same speakers.;)

Has anyone built F5 mono blocks. I have two 10" X 6" X 2.5" heat sinks, one for each output mosfet. I was planning to attach leads going from the PC board to the outputs connectors for the Mosfets. Any recommendation would be appreciated. In removing the current limiter thermisters, for more involving sound, is a short use for bypass on the PC board and the ground?

Ray

Ray try the regular F5 thread, this one is about the subjective sound vs. various implementations and parts... also vs. other amps.

_-_-bear

Thanks for responding. Since this thread or the other thread has not responded to my questions other than you? I suppose I entered the forum to late to invite a discussion which might had been discuss in the 700 pages previously. Maybe I should search the internet for other forums. Thanks again

Ray

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
As I understand, your intention is to use double heatsinks, two fore each channel
No problem, its suggested in F5 manual
And you intend to build the simpler version
Better to hardwire it, or make a small board and just hardwire outputstage
I will
Its all there, in F5 thread
What the heck, mine have gone through many stages now, and heres a couple that might help you
Mind you, one is fore Renesas only
Nothing built yet, and you have to check fore errors yourself, no promisses
All values in layout are still as pr original, with single pair output devices
Dont take my layout literally

Attachments

• F5  X3 rev 3.JPG
    F5 X3 rev 3.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,301
  • F5  X4 rev 4x.JPG
    F5 X4 rev 4x.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited: