F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A preamp capable of 5Vrms output ?

Patrick

every decent made ( not counting ones starving at 30-40V Ua) ECC88 based pre is capable of that ; even these starving at low A voltage are capable for that swing , but they're mediocre from other reasons

in any case - stifa's previous amp was Hiraga , but he wasn't happy with some minor things regarding build quality , power was sufficient for his needs

considering that F5 is more friendly than Hiraga in several aspects (technicaly wise , I'm not comparing sound - matter of taste , in any case ) , I presume that he'll be happy with F5

considering that F5 is more friendly than Hiraga in several aspects (technicaly wise , I'm not comparing sound - matter of taste , in any case ) , I presume that he'll be happy with F5

True:spin:
Just wanted to know what the final sound character would be like, based on someone's perspective. I know it is hard to guess just on specs.

Anyhoo, my room is 20sqm 6x3 and these Linn speakers are actually easy to drive.

Big thanks to ZenMod he was very forthcoming and helpful with my choice and amp problem.:santa2: He makes good brandy too :spin:

Peace

True:spin:
Just wanted to know what the final sound character would be like, based on someone's perspective. I know it is hard to guess just on specs.

Anyhoo, my room is 20sqm 6x3 and these Linn speakers are actually easy to drive.

Big thanks to ZenMod he was very forthcoming and helpful with my choice and amp problem.:santa2: He makes good brandy too :spin:

Peace

In character, it is similar to Alephs in the top end - detailed, open and magical. It doesn't feel like you are listening to the electronic equipment. It feels very real. The area where is different from Alephs is bass. It is, solid, fast well controlled bass . In the top end it will go as far as your tweeters would allow and beyond. It has such a well balanced sound, yet it is very simple amp. That is why I think that anyone should make one.
Choky makes the best brandy - period.
:spin:

if you want to bias your amp much higher than the original F5, I recommend to use the F5 with toshiba devices -> they allow higher maximum dissipation due to increased size of the package, so it is easier to transfer the heat to the heatsink

you can see the details of the schematic if you save the file to disk, and open it with MS-Word (insert->picture->from file->*.wmf)

Is the ECC88 = 6DJ8?

Sorry, being from the USA and not dealing with Euro tube types much I get them confused since they all seem similar in nomenclature to me...

If so, then it will sound like the ECC88 does for the most part, imho.

Around these parts the single F5 builder has found that the implementation effects the resulting sound, I agree.

Wonder if anyone has checked the DF of the amp, that would account for some difference in the bottom end compared to other amps.

I tried the F5 running only my horns from 250Hz up.
Rick is using it (it's his amp) full range, but in a small room.

You need an extra 10dB of gain in the preamp, and 10dB of headroom, which may or may not be an issue - probably not with a tube stage.

_-_-bear

umut, ask that question over in the regular F5 thread?

umut - these issues are beaten to death - at least 20 times - in original F5 thread

you're going to make amp worth few Euro grands ..... make some efforts in reading what's already written .

oww there are lots of things to read and sometimes my english is poor.I mean 2sk1530/j201 (toshiba) I remember that there were less treble when using these transistors.Fairchilds were more detailed.But i remember that Vgs were 2.8 volts when using toshiba 2sk1530/j201

Hi I built F5 amp but wanna get more class a sound to my 4ohms speakers.I remember that there was lower voltage version F5 about +-16 volts with high bias but i couldnt find the schematic.I remember that a german person redesigned it.Where to find them ?
I've been using F5 with my speakers in 4ohm mode and i didn't notice any indications of the sound deterioration, mind you. I must admit speakers are 100db and i run it without any preamp.