F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One of the interesting aspects is that since there are so few parts involved one might expect that it could be possible to correlate some sort of actual empirical measurement back to the resulting sound - whereas with a complex "modern" amplifier design the number of variables is extremely high.

This is my experience, and is one reason why I find simple
amplifiers so interesting.

:cool:

I've been using F5 with sort of bride of zen preamp and OB with fostex108E+15"Fane drivers .For the time being I think this is my ultimate sound
(see for fow long...he he).anyway,in my modest opinion this amp deserves all the good rewiews it's got.Roben Ford has materialised in my house thanks to this litlle amp and that's what counts in the end.

to thermistor or not to thermistor?

Anybody would like to comment on the sound with and without the thermistors? My own findings are very controversial as far as the quality of sound is concerned, meanining that I much prefer by far the amp without the thermistors. Actual thermistors used are epcos (needless to say that in both cases the amplifier worked under same conditions of voltage, current and temperature)

Any input would be realy appreciated

Anybody would like to comment on the sound with and without the thermistors? My own findings are very controversial as far as the quality of sound is concerned, meanining that I much prefer by far the amp without the thermistors. Actual thermistors used are epcos (needless to say that in both cases the amplifier worked under same conditions of voltage, current and temperature)

Any input would be realy appreciated

I never put them in the first place (too lazy),so I wouldn't know. According to few people sound improves without current limiter.Any specific thoughts in witch way sound changed?

I never put them in the first place (too lazy),so I wouldn't know. According to few people sound improves without current limiter.Any specific thoughts in witch way sound changed?

I did not tried to disconnect the current limiter yet. With the thermistors in place the difference in sound quality is really huge, with the thermistors in the amp becomes uninvolving as a mediocre over counter type of amplifier, while with the thermistors out it is transformed in a real performer in every aspect of audio reproduction.

Any impressions of F5 amp by people who have tube pre-amps ?

Mine is ECC88 cathode follower design with 200 ohm output impedance so I am wondering what this combo would sound like.
A respected member from this site :spin: is helping me build (actually doing all the work :):D an F5.

Anyone experienced any SS nastiness?
System would be:
F5
CS4397 + CS8416 DAC
ECC88 C.foll preamp
Linn Nexus 87db/ 8ohm speakers
blonde hair girlfriend (wife factor);)

Mr.Pass thank you for this design.
M

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Any impressions of F5 amp by people who have tube pre-amps ?

Mine is ECC88 cathode follower design with 200 ohm output impedance so I am wondering what this combo would sound like.
A respected member from this site :spin: is helping me build (actually doing all the work :):D an F5.

Anyone experienced any SS nastiness?
System would be:
F5
CS4397 + CS8416 DAC
ECC88 C.foll preamp
Linn Nexus 87db/ 8ohm speakers
blonde hair girlfriend (wife factor);)

Mr.Pass thank you for this design.
M

F5 will not make your toob preamp follower to sound like SS drek , in any case .

same - any good preamp ( either toob or SS ) will not make your F5 to sound as SS drek .

so - point is that F5 is good ...... and it needs good preamp ....... be it Toob or SS ...... :rofl:

PS. much more important is that F5 is capable to drive your soul with your ears with your spks in your room ..... but I really don't know any other SS 25W amp better capable to do that ...... (except few Papa's , but they aren't better , just different)

Attachments

• Dustblower.jpg
    Dustblower.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,694
F5 will not make your toob preamp follower to sound like SS drek , in any case .

same - any good preamp ( either toob or SS ) will not make your F5 to sound as SS drek .

so - point is that F5 is good ...... and it needs good preamp ....... be it Toob or SS ...... :rofl:

PS. much more important is that F5 is capable to drive your soul with your ears with your spks in your room ..... but I really don't know any other SS 25W amp better capable to do that ...... (except few Papa's , but they aren't better , just different)

I agree with all that ZenMode (that seems like is turning to WindMode) stated. My only concern would be sensitivity of your speakers. I do not think you will have enough power to drive them to the level you might want. F5 is really exceptional amp, and you will love the sound, but with 87dB speakers you need much more power.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I agree with all that ZenMode (that seems like is turning to WindMode) stated. My only concern would be sensitivity of your speakers. I do not think you will have enough power to drive them to the level you might want. F5 is really exceptional amp, and you will love the sound, but with 87dB speakers you need much more power.

my man - just right/click on his flag - properties ;

I can bet that his room isn't much bigger of 20sqm

:rofl:

if he have civilized ears/brain combo - that's certainly enough .

I remember days when I drove LS3/5-like minimonitors with 20W PP triode amps ....