Inductor Circlotron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got the inspiration for this Circlotron circuit from John Broskie's website: Tube Cad Journal. My version is a cascoded, balanced pair with center tapped chokes on both ends of the power supply. It seems to sim OK. Would love some input.

Attachments

• Circlotron Inductor Loaded.png
    Circlotron Inductor Loaded.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 660
It's an interesting balanced amp, but there is no "circle" in it, it's not a circlotron ;)
You got just one PS and it's ground-referenced. Circlotron is basically a balanced push-pull with load across the bridge (as in Wien bridge, not as in "bridged amp"). Like this:

Attachments

• image044.gif
    image044.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Yes, I do plan to build upon this concept. I already have constructed a balanced, cascoded mosfet/power jfet amp similar in design minus the top choke and coupling caps. Basically, all I need to do is add the choke and caps and I'm in-like-flint.

In my sims I noticed that it's very important to have a small value resistor on the lower choke center tap. The LU1014Ds would fry otherwise. Also, a couple volts from a negative power supply seem to improve the wattage curve on the jfets.

What's cool is that it'll drive a 2 ohm load and deliver 100 watts, or more, in the process.

BTW, I should mention: the mosfets count must be quadrupled at a minimum.

Oh, and it takes 10 volts on the inputs to achieve 120 watts output.

Last edited:
So I had a closer look this afternoon and did some quick sums.

Assuming we build a power amp with Iq = 4A (no pont building circlotron pre's), and we allow the caps to drop voltage by say 0.3V at 10Hz half cycle. We would need somthing like 0.7F of capacitance for each half. The chokes are then not too bad with such an amount of capacitance. Probably 3mH will do fine. I would guess 2 caps 1F 24V to be around USD400, plus 4 chokes at about the same price (DCR < 0.05ohm).

I guess I can either buy many 24V 100aH car batteries for that price, or separate 1kVA transformers, ..., etc. Maybe useful for tube guys, but this is the Pass forum -- Class A MOSFETs at high bias.

Still, the idea is clever, one has to admit. ;)

Patrick

IMGDEAD]

If you want to build a inductorloaded circlotron you could build this one.
Its an old design of mine. I build one 2005 and it worked realy good.
The inductor is a bifilare winded big E-core transformer with about 2 x 150 turns of 2,5 mm2 isolated coppercable.
With 2 x 15 volt powersupplies i could get 30 watts out of it. (probably more but i couldent measure it that acuratly)

Johannes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.