Battery powered Balance Line Stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2003, 07:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Battery powered Balance Line Stage

I'm thinking of building a battery powered BLS using 10 x 12V 5Ah SLA rechargable batteries. How long can the BLS last on those batteries?
Old 23rd May 2003, 07:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

unless I forget something:

to be on the save side: let's asume 4000mA hours.
The BOSOZ draws about 160mA or the BOZ draws about 100mA. So the BOSOZ will last 4000mA/160mA hours = 25 hours, the BOZ about 40 hours.

Regards,
Thijs
Old 23rd May 2003, 11:54 AM   #3
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Are these figures for both channels?I think the regulated BOSOZ ps should draw a fair bit of current seeing how hot it gets.With batteries maybe you wouldn't need the regulation and save on battery life. If you want to regulate you will have to adjust to something like 50v to work with your 60v rails.
Old 23rd May 2003, 12:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yes these figure are for both channels. I could be a few tens of mA wrong but I don't think so. The active devices in the BOSOZ and BOZ indeed get hot due to the energy the dissipate (say 30V x 50mA = 1.5Watt) in combination with their high 'thermal resistance' which is due to thier low radiating surface. A small heatsink reduces the thermal resistance and hence temperature considerably.

Regards,
Thijs
Old 23rd May 2003, 12:27 PM   #5
ralf is offline ralf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default good idea..

..how will you recharge the batteries?
have you got a charger (schematic of a charger)

Ralf
Old 23rd May 2003, 03:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm presently using a 12V charger that charges 1 battery at a time for my buffered preamp (2 x 12V SLA). I've to find a way to concurrently charge all the 10 batteries (120Vdc). Any suggestions?
Old 25th May 2003, 08:29 AM   #7
ralf is offline ralf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default time consuming

Quote:
Originally posted by icceman
I'm presently using a 12V charger that charges 1 battery at a time for my buffered preamp (2 x 12V SLA). I've to find a way to concurrently charge all the 10 batteries (120Vdc). Any suggestions?
..ohhh,
charging 12 batteries, one after the other - must be very time consuming.

Can you desribe the sound differences between conventional psu and battery supply?

Greets
Ralf
Old 25th May 2003, 07:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
originally posted by tschrama
to be on the save side: let's asume 4000mA hours.
The BOSOZ draws about 160mA or the BOZ draws about 100mA. So the BOSOZ will last 4000mA/160mA hours = 25 hours, the BOZ about 40 hours.
This calculation is true when You discharge the batteries completely.
For long lifespan Sealed Lead Acid batteries don`t like it being discharged completly.
I wouldn`t recommend discharge them under 1/3 their capacity.
So count for less operating time or go for bigger batteries.

Quote:
originally posted by icceman
Yes, use 10 those chargers (no joke!)
Old 26th May 2003, 02:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default 10 chargers

10 chargers! ... I need to reconsider if it's really worth using batteries to power the BLS (batteries VS PSU).
Old 26th May 2003, 11:12 AM   #10
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I think the BZLS would work quite well on +- 24v , even Nelson has said it can work on 30v so it's not a big difference.
Of course you can up it to +- 36v with six batteries to be on the safe side and build only two chargers each charging 3 batteries.This could be a good compromise even though some do not recommend charging many batteries in series because of different internal R but I think it is not that critical and in the worst case the battery may have a slightly lower life span. In any case the sound quality will not be affected.I found that small voltage differences between battery rails and batteries on my battery powered gainclone do not affect sound quality.
I think you have many options at your disposal.

Hide this!Advertise here!