diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Which components to use for pass aleph (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/155139-components-use-pass-aleph.html)

mariussuiram82 16th November 2009 02:25 PM

Which components to use for pass aleph

Hello,

I'm planning to build the pass aleph 2 monoblocks. I already have the heat sinks and pcb. Next step is to purchase the components. Can any one give me advice on witch brands to use for mosfets resistor capacitor etc`?

I know something about hifi components but for the electronic components to use, i don't have any experience at all about what sounds good. And about what should match together.

Would like to hear some recommendations.
thank you,
Marius

AR2 16th November 2009 03:20 PM

You could use anything that you find available. No reason to worry about brands. For resistors use metal film, for power resistors use metal oxide, Alephs do not use any expensive caps, so for feedback (that is the smallest cap in the schematic) use silver mica, and all other caps are aluminum electrolytes.
When it comes to Mosfets, you would be better off to buy from someone here on the forum who sells matched sets. Otherwise you will have to buy much bigger amount than you need and than you would need to have them matched.
When it comes to brands, I like Dale resistors, Panasonic makes good caps, Cornel Dublier makes nice silver mica. You could order ether from Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor
or from
DigiKey Corp. | Electronic Components Distributor | United States Home Page

Hope this helps
:spin:

coloradosound 16th November 2009 03:28 PM

Do you want to do budget or spend till big debt?

mariussuiram82 16th November 2009 03:31 PM

Thank you for the information. I will look at the link you gave.

mariussuiram82 16th November 2009 03:39 PM

Thanx for the links. I even see shipping is for free too holland. About the buget. If i could affort a new factory made xa100.5 i would buy it right away. I heard it play and sounds fantastic. But that's out of my budget. But i don't want to save money on components if it has a negative effect on sound quality. I don't care if the amps will cost 2000 or 4000 dollar. As long as the sound fantastic!

AR2 17th November 2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariussuiram82 (Post 1982688)
Thanx for the links. I even see shipping is for free too holland. About the buget. If i could affort a new factory made xa100.5 i would buy it right away. I heard it play and sounds fantastic. But that's out of my budget. But i don't want to save money on components if it has a negative effect on sound quality. I don't care if the amps will cost 2000 or 4000 dollar. As long as the sound fantastic!

Neither price, nor sound would be much affected by the choice of components, on the main board. Your price will be driven by heatsinks, case, traffo, output MOSFETs and PS caps. Depending on the situation you will have with two cases for monoblocks with heatsinks you should count to be closer to $ 2,000.00 than to $ 1,000.00. It is all about case and heatsinks.

mariussuiram82 17th November 2009 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I already bought the heatsinks. The were made for the aleph 2. So these will be good. The pcb is from kk-pcb. I heard they are good and have pass approval. The The power supply is going to be hard wired. Are there any recommendations about the power supply. brand traffo etc. And is it better to make it bigger than the standart 600 va / monoblock?

TjongKristian 17th November 2009 09:49 AM

Where did you get that chasis? Looks good.

mariussuiram82 17th November 2009 10:45 AM

THE heatsinks are from hong kong. If you are intersted i can ask for more. Can not give you the adres without his permittion. But i think he still has pair left. Let me know

TjongKristian 17th November 2009 10:51 AM

I am definitely interested. My email address is tjongkristian at hotmail dot com. Thanks.