aleph bias tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi everyone
my first post so please be gentle :)

i have an aleph 5 diy that i have been running for a year or so and would like to add some extra output devices
i am going to add an extra 6 per mono block

nothing else will be changed exept for the extra devices and i am wondering if the bias will still be the same or will i have to turn it up to get the same bias through the 12 per mono block as the 6 i am currently running eg 2 amp

the pcb is mini a

thankyou for any help

cheers jason

Joined 2003
Paid Member
All else being equal, simply by adding more devices and corresponding source/gate resistors you will double the bias in this case. As long as you have enough heatsink, you're fine. The only other question is...do you have enough power supply? A single large trafo can usually handle both channels Aleph5, but with 8A total, you'll need to go dual mono...if you haven't already.

-john

Last edited:
hi to john and ian

thankyou for your advice
power supply and heatsink is oversized so no problem there

i was just wondering about the bias changing but it sounds like it will be fine
i worried that by adding extra out put devices and not changing any thing else that the bias would be lowered and i will have to up the bias to bring it back to its previous value

cheers jason

The Aleph current source only monitors the current through one fet and supplies the bias voltage to all the current source fets. Likewise for the signal fets, they all see the same bias voltage. If you double the number of output fets you also double the total bias current unless you raise the value of the source Rs. 600va trafo for each channel probably about minimum.

Best, Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.