B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's My B1, 1st DIY

Hi to one and all, with special thanks to Mr. Pass:

A couple of photos of my B1. Finished it last Thus./Friday and have been listening pretty much constantly since.

Note the "fabricated from billet magnesium knobs" :D and the hickory case made from a tree that fell in my father-in-law's woods 25 years ago. :rolleyes:

Am hearing things I've never heard before, and some things that used to be prominent are farther back in the mix than before. Bass is clearer, not as resonant. High end is much softer and more like I remember records sounding like.

Note that I am powering a GFA 555 amp that I bought in 1986...:D It sounds a lot more linear at both lower and higher volumes--less "confused." Would have never been able to afford a new preamp, so this was really a great treat to get such an improvement for little or no money! Thanks for your generosity Mr. Pass, I have really enjoyed my Adcom gear that you designed, and now I can afford some of your other stuff (if I build it myself!)

Jonathan Smith

Attachments

• DSC_0562.jpg
    DSC_0562.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 2,421
Last edited:
Batteries...

The clerk at Radio Shack _did_assure me that the batteries were audiophile grade.:D

The preamp is now sporting a brand new hewlett packard regulated 20 V power supply from Wal Mart, currently on sale.

I think it sounds just as good, and particularly better than when the circuit is running on 6 volts, like when your audophile batteries are giving up the ghost.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here's my take on the B1. It will be the input-buffer of an integrated amp I'm building for a friend of mine. I somehow like to p2p and make connections with the components' leads. Half the solder joints.

Today I'll add the resistors. Cute amp.

Edit: In the hand-drawn schematic half the caps (Panasonic FC 2200uF50V) have wrong polarity, yes. I was used to draw bipolar supplies, so...
But they were installed correctly as you can see in the pic.

Attachments

• b1_p2p.jpg
    b1_p2p.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 2,190
  • b1_front.jpg
    b1_front.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 2,011
  • b1_bottom.jpg
    b1_bottom.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 1,907
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And here's the data from matching the 100 2SK170BL.
First histo shows I_dss abundance with bins 0.04mA wide.
Second shows same with bins 0.01mA wide.
Third pic shows data.

The JFETS used have (7.68,7.68,7.67,7.66)mA I_dss.

Edit: I ended up with 26 unmatched JFETs, the others are matched within 0.01mA up to 0.04mA, so 37 pairs in total.

Attachments

• 2sk170bl_matching.jpg
    2sk170bl_matching.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 313
  • 2sk170bl_01bins.png
    2sk170bl_01bins.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 2sk170bl_04bins.png
    2sk170bl_04bins.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,740
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My B1 is finished, probably. But as Papa once said:

"check everything twice, (once in the evening, once in the morning)"
(Zen Variations #8, page 8)

I'll sleep over it and fire it up tomorrow.

Attachments

• b1_top_angle.jpg
    b1_top_angle.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 706
  • b1_bottom_angle.jpg
    b1_bottom_angle.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 676
  • b1_half.jpg
    b1_half.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 420
Here is my build.
Been running for a few months now, I do enjoy it very much.
The PS is a regulated 18V wall wart. PassDiy board and pretty much stock parts.
Thank you Mr. Pass and associates that are leased/rented or otherwise indebtured.
The downside is that now i need a new phono amp.......

Attachments

• Small DIY1.JPG
    Small DIY1.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 627
  • Small DIY2.JPG
    Small DIY2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,230
Nice looking build. Was wondering if you recycled something for the case and, if so, what you used?

If you mean mine, thanks. Yes i did, i went looking for a ackDAC case at Ikea, but they were all too small, i found this in the toy section. My kids got the oversized mecano bits, and i got the box. It all comes apart, and is easy to mod, just plastic and wood. Would like to use them for an F5 but not sure about the heat.

I thought i would post some pictures of my B1 Case, ( for now ) Till i can afford the one i really want.

This case was built for me 4 years ago, it lived in a padded box, the metal came from a old recycled sign that is why it still has the reflective material on it, i will remove it off soon :)

I have ordered my self a nice hand full of gold Rca connectors 18 flip switches the nice 10uf caps, ( cheap ones for now till i can afford a set that are 60$ ) a nice 25K noble pot from ebay and i have a nice 18V regulated laptop psu ill use for now till i build one.

Noble pot was 19$ on ebay for a 25k one, there is one left from the seller.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.