B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am a little confused. If I were to run a B1 with an amp that does not have a volume control from a source that does not have a volume control, do I need to add a volume control? Or do the 25K pots act as the volume control?

I am not sure if you are supposed to adjust the pots to optimize your "system" impedance and THEN add your volume control either up or down stream?

the 25k pots are the volume control
jim

Hi,
C101 & C201 form a high pass output filter with the impedances that follow them. They also block DC passing to the next stage.

10uF or 11uF feeding 221k//22k will have F-1dB~1.5Hz.
If there is a further DC block at the power amp input and it is also 10uF the F-1dB will rise to ~3Hz and if power amp uses 1uF F-1dB will rise to ~17Hz

The lowest quality of the DC blocking caps should be temporarily shorted out when you have a second DC block in the other bit of equipment.

Finally acquired all the stuff to build the B1 - the chassis is on its way.

Went with Vishay CMF50 resistors, Jantzen Z 10uF caps, Vishay MKP 1uF caps, Alps pot, and neutrik NYS367 RCAs.

I finally settled on THIS hifi2000 chassis from audiophonics.fr.

For power I acquired some Dell sockets from ebay and I will use one of the many 19V Dell adapters I have kicking around.

I also went with NKK LED tipped switches - hopefully they end up as I envision.

Pics to follow as I progress...

Finally acquired all the stuff to build the B1 - the chassis is on its way.

Went with Vishay CMF50 resistors, Jantzen Z 10uF caps, Vishay MKP 1uF caps, Alps pot, and neutrik NYS367 RCAs.

I finally settled on THIS hifi2000 chassis from audiophonics.fr.

For power I acquired some Dell sockets from ebay and I will use one of the many 19V Dell adapters I have kicking around.

I also went with NKK LED tipped switches - hopefully they end up as I envision.

Pics to follow as I progress...

Nice case would love to see more pictures :) Keep us updated .

Nice chassis, got one problem, my caps are 45 mm alone.
I ordered the Slimline 02/230 silver front 10mm cover 3mm alu.

John

Attachments

• B1 Test.jpg
    B1 Test.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • B1 Test 2.jpg
    B1 Test 2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,031
Just finished my B1 the other night….wow…what an amazing little piece of work! The music seems more lively and detailed (as opposed to my passive pre or even my GG clone); also the background seems a little “deeper” or more “black”. Really, whatever the case may be, I like this unit a lot.

I have to give a lot of thanks to Mr. Pass for giving this design to the DIY community – it hits both the price and performance markers in my book…I think that I paid less than 100 bucks for the board, Jfets and other auxiliary stuff I needed to complete this thing (I had resistors and most caps on hand). Also a big thanks goes out to the DIY community in general…lots of help and inspiration on this and many other projects.

I have a few pictures posted on my Google photos site…

Picasa Web Albums - Wayne - Pass Labs B1

Now, as soon as I get a little more free time I will build a proper chassis and make a few mods to the power supply and maybe add a couple of additional inputs and use this as my preamp on a full time basis.

Wayne

My B1 Buffer Preamp

Circuit running at 18v supply.
B1 board is from Sjostrom Audio, thanks Per-Anders.
Voltage Regulator board is from Delta Audio, thanks Rasmussen.

B1 Buffer Preamp is being used with the following:
Playstation One CD Player with output measured at 0.305 VAC rms.
Elliot Sound Products P101 Amplifier 40V rails with gain measured at 26db.
Proarc 2.5 clone speakers.

System is used in my living room, normal easy listening level is with volume knob at 1/4. Knob at 1/2 is loud.

I'm very pleased with buffer thank you Nelson.

Attachments

• DSCN0357a.jpg
    DSCN0357a.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 968
  • DSCN0358a.jpg
    DSCN0358a.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 935
  • DSCN0359a.jpg
    DSCN0359a.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 912
Circuit running at 18v supply.
B1 board is from Sjostrom Audio, thanks Per-Anders.
Voltage Regulator board is from Delta Audio, thanks Rasmussen.

B1 Buffer Preamp is being used with the following:
Playstation One CD Player with output measured at 0.305 VAC rms.
Elliot Sound Products P101 Amplifier 40V rails with gain measured at 26db.
Proarc 2.5 clone speakers.

System is used in my living room, normal easy listening level is with volume knob at 1/4. Knob at 1/2 is loud.

I'm very pleased with buffer thank you Nelson.

Where did you buy the Regulator board ? Looks nice, nice clean simple layout :)

Might hear a difference if you change that pot to a nicer one ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.