B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can vouch for the quality of the Goldpoint which would run you about £100.
As I see it you just need to find a good £20 car battery!
My 1967 MGB-GT had a habit of running on the battery whenever the Lucas generator would quit (about once per month). I never did get completely comfortable with POSITIVE GROUND.

I bought this,

P1030702.JPG

I hate the big click click of those dact's :(

Not a top twenty but a variety of nice, fun stuff to start with:
Johnny Have You Seen Her? by The Rembrandts - pop brilliance
This Bitter Earth/On the Nature of Daylight by Dinah Washington/Max Richter - an astounding resetting of her 1960 release... from the Shutter Island soundtrack
Mambo Y Coro by Banda Chula
Woman by Brother Cane - kickin' southern rock
Put It Down by Wookiefoot
Flowers by Wookiefoot - an amazing band with huge range
Goodfellas by Joey DeFrancesco
Train, Train by Dolly Parton from a great album - The Grass is Blue
Concerto Antico, John Williams plays Harvey/Gray -as good as modern classical music gets, a real treat, there are two concertos on the release but the Concerto Antico is sublime.

It started with comments about imaging and a preamp vs the B1 in a system. Imaging is most effected by phase coherence. Many recordings are such a mess phase-wise that they will never present a good image. Good recordings can be used to determine absolute phase in a sound system by listening. Parts selection, room acoustics, recording quality and absolute phase of a system all have large impacts on the final listening experience. Phase is often overlooked... I suggested not only music that is of a high enough recorded quality to indicate absolute phase by listening but also music that fun to listen to. Fun being the quality too often overlooked.

Sometimes we are posting questions just to spread the experience that we are obtaining.

I've been learning with caps all week. And I've been posting my successes.

Not everything can be learnt from books. Sometimes we all have to bow to the experiments of others.

Some - the lucky few - have loads of money to waste on trying exotic components.

Most of us are trying to gleam that vital decision from a similarly poor Dad.

Over the last few weeks I've bought over £100 worth of caps on trhe strenghts of the few that have offerred helpful comments. I will make my choice and post my results. In the true DIY spirit I will sell on the redundant bits at a fraction of what I paid for them so that others can learn themselves.

Too serious! I am glad you like your B1 now. I think you will like the Obbligato's as well. Try bypass them with 1/100th value MKP. GO USA!

I've already got 1n5 1% Polystyrenes bypassing the current caps - I'm going to leave them in place.

Have you been to UK ?

I've spent years working in Florida.

Home is always home - we all always want to go home - wherever it is.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.